Mockup engine for doing twins

PRattenbury

Neophyte
I saw on the interweb there's a company that makes a plastic mockup of the 12 valve Cummins, with head and manifold. Looks like with the addition of the bellhousing adapter and left motor mount a decent setup could be had for mocking up turbo configurations. What do other people do to get things fabbed up?

53 block and spare head

2wpuller has a cracked 53 block he uses too... seems thats all they're good for LOL

I bet a "good" 53 block could be had for less than your plastic mockup? Still would need a head though... I've seen those plastic motors on Ebay before.

i thought it was more of clearance problems with the frame and body when doing twins. at least thats the problem i was seeing when i put mine together.

I bought a cracked 53 block...worked out great! I had a spare head rusting away so I cleaned that up and used it.

Made a couple sets of twins allready so it paid for itsself the first time around.

Junk block here and part of a head a buddy cut up to look at the casting thickness. It's got it's own dedicated motor stand it stays on.

I thought about the broken block idea. But nobody gives anything away, plus there is the head, and the exhaust manifold, and the bellhousing adapter, and all that stuff is heavy. The plastic one would be something I could just pick up and put someplace out of the way. The frame does pose a problem, and the firewall. Maybe I could go to the boneyard and cut out the part of the frame I'd need, and the same for the firewall. They'd be heavy, too, but at least the engine would be manageable.

I get my measurements off of the truck for the bellhousing. The downpipe seems to be the hardest part to fit. Five inch exhaust just barely fits the hole. I took the last one and oval shaped it going by the bellhousing. If you have the motor mount you shouldn't need any frame.
I picked all the stuff up for nothing, it's there if you look in the right places.

Personally I think the plastic mock up engine would be of more use in the engine bay of a truck to mock up from. That way you are not pulling all that iron everytime to setup something.

I thought about the broken block idea. But nobody gives anything away, plus there is the head, and the exhaust manifold, and the bellhousing adapter, and all that stuff is heavy. The plastic one would be something I could just pick up and put someplace out of the way. The frame does pose a problem, and the firewall. Maybe I could go to the boneyard and cut out the part of the frame I'd need, and the same for the firewall. They'd be heavy, too, but at least the engine would be manageable.
I did! The last cracked one I had sold for $50. I guess I may be the exception to the rule.

I got a 12valve block that has a cracked cylinder bore if some one needs a dummy that bad

I would just take rough measurements of the engine bay and make a mockup with wood from home depot and use a junk engine block and head.

I built my first set of twins with the exhaust manifold bolted to a angle iron on the welding bench. They worked fine. As long as you have a truck to measure off of you can index off of the exhaust manifold.

Back