Modified factory gauge cluster?

runsideways2

Anybody cut up the factory gauge cluster to replace the factory gauges with aftermarket (ie.autometer) in place of them. Ive been eyeballing them thinking they might fit I dont want to draw to much attention when the truck is parked with a ton of gauges every where I know the pillar is a good place for boost,trans and more boost :ft:.
I would like to keep it clean looking but have a decent set of gauges. I have seen a couple of trucks with clusters replaced with a aluminum sheet but I would have to buy rpm and mph gauges, I like the factory rpm and mph but we all know that factory gauges are not the best for watching your guys 5,10,20k motors.
I havent pulled it yet to see what the diameter is of the factory gauge holes or if its a big circuit board like the bmw have which would require major mods to keep mph and rpm going.

Last edited:
I have a lot of thinking time I'm on vacation in Hawaii. So many things I want to do when I get back to los angeles!

What year truck? There's a decent amount of ways to convert analog signals into digital and display it on a tablet, so you can just mount the tablet while you're test&tune or racing&log.

What year truck? There's a decent amount of ways to convert analog signals into digital and display it on a tablet, so you can just mount the tablet while you're test&tune or racing&log.

Its a 96. So you are saying the signal that goes to the factory gauge cluster can be convert into digital signal for a datalogger?

I put 4 gauges in the space where the cup spiller and O/D switch used to be.
The best option IMO is digital w/ logging.

Analog gauges honestly suck. When trying to dial stuff in, some people can remember, some use a go pro to record, but digital is so much easier.

Last edited:
I put 4 gauges in the space where the cup spiller and O/D switch used to be.
The best option IMO is digital w/ logging.

Analog gauges honestly suck. When trying to dial stuff in, some people can remember, some use a go pro to record, but digital is so much easier.

Cup spiller! :lolly: do you have a pic of the gauge set up?

Nothing fancy, cut the plate from an old sign I had laying around and have since added some 45* angled spacers to point the gauges at me a little more. Fits well I think. Keeps the "factory" look and feel that I like

Attachments

• 20160817_195942.jpg
    20160817_195942.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 0
Nothing fancy, cut the plate from an old sign I had laying around and have since added some 45* angled spacers to point the gauges at me a little more. Fits well I think. Keeps the "factory" look and feel that I like

Oh man I like that! Im going to have to use that idea. Thanks

I have an old cluster you can cut up I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it

Cup spiller! :lolly: do you have a pic of the gauge set up?

I don’t on this phone, but basically I just cut out the divider between cups and of button, took 2 inch pvc, staggered and tilted them towards the driver seat, held it in position with hot glue until I could get some loose fiberglass set up to hold them.
After they were solid I stretched glass for each gauge individually so they’d all have similar contours and glassed all of them.
A skim coat of bondo to even everything up and it looked okay.

Never completely finished before scrapping that junker though.

I just can’t stand having the gauges in my field of vision on the pillar all the time. Messes with my eyes.

Last edited:
Oh man I like that! Im going to have to use that idea. Thanks

A few tips:

You will need to cut away/trim some factory dash plastic to make them fit. The reason mine are so far right is because of factory screw tabs. I've trimmed them away since the install but i plan on putting a OD/TC Lock up indicator lights in that space on the left. You can get the gauges more to the left if you do it prior.

I lined the dash cluster edge with some windshield washer line to clean up the rough edge, helps hold the plate in place and stop vibration/rattling. Had a slight issue with that.

Have fun routing lines up to there haha serious PITA. Had my hand contorted in ways I didn't know possible making sure lines were not kinked or bent.

Back