Monotherms

JohhnyFoxtrot

need a trailer
Yep the Monotherms finally made it a little bit ago.

One of my Sponsors came thru big time with these there getting fitted now and hope to have mine up and running again sometime in the next 3 or 4 months.

I want to thank Matt Kelly of Kelly Diesel Performance for the work he's put into getting me what I need.

monotherm.jpg

Badass Doug. That should take care of the burnt pistons now just put some good rods with them and you will be set.

Yeah Tim wish I could afford billet but just going back with the 24V VP rods I have or put in 12V rods out of another old engine.

You be making a big mistake running anything but billet rods with those. P pumped you you can pull it off but a CR your playing Russian roulette. Hate to see ya bend rods after finally getting it back together.

Freeze are you saying any cr won't live or high tq/hp, twins, or a large single. I want to go back to twins but I want to sled pull more than race at this point its just to heavy.

Freeze are you saying any cr won't live or high tq/hp, twins, or a large single. I want to go back to twins but I want to sled pull more than race at this point its just to heavy.

Big single it MIGHT be ok. Put the big turbine housing on it, to keep the the low rpm torque lower.

Be a shame to wipe out the engine and destroy one of those pistons though.

I think I would go with billet rods and cast coated pistons, before I would put monotherms and stock rods.

Sled pulling is going to be harder on it for sure at big power. While the pistons are a great upgrade the 24 v rods just don't like the extra 200 plus grams of weight. Its alot of added stress at low end torque of the CR power band. I think this was Swoles biggest killer and has done many others not talking about it. If you have gone this far may as well spend 2500 more and have at it. P pump guys can pull it off and with the right tuning a CR could too but it's playing on thin ice IMO.

Chris.

Well I guess it will be down for a lot longer if I do that been almost a year now might as well strech it out some more. I hate to spend more on it need it to drive.

Well I guess it will be down for a lot longer if I do that been almost a year now might as well strech it out some more. I hate to spend more on it need it to drive.

Just slap together a cheap on to drive, and build this one in the corner of the garage as funds allow.

Wish I could have two house payments and have had since last year. Ones being sold and have to build a shed. Thats my sob story for the night. Wanted to make TS this year oh well maybe next my wife wants to kill me now. She has no idea how much is going into this but she does say its the last time its gonna happen. Might as well just do it and get it over with one day.

Hey welcome to the club

IMO if you were smart with the tuning you can easily get by with stock rods, even easier with a large single if your pulling. (Sell the smarty and get it really tuned with Efi).

John R went a long time on stock rods while turning some big rpms. No way I'd build a engine with those monotherms sitting in a box.

Last edited:
Wish I could have two house payments and have had since last year. Ones being sold and have to build a shed. Thats my sob story for the night. Wanted to make TS this year oh well maybe next my wife wants to kill me now. She has no idea how much is going into this but she does say its the last time its gonna happen. Might as well just do it and get it over with one day.

I understand, been there done that. Had that for over 2 years. Sucks!

Hmmm... a certain standalone truck ran monotherms and 12v rods last year. Didn't see any wavy rods around these parts.

Well I sold the Smarty long ago with the Mp-8. Have had EfiLive V2 since the week before meltdown but have only used it on two vehicles besides mine. I would hope tuning would do it but don't want to take the chance or the expense of doing it twice. I hope I can get intouch wit ha good tuner close to here have used IdahoRob on other things so far.

Get Rich to build ya his "Swole" tune..

No TQ down low and then hauls Azz up top! lol

Back