more transmission issues.

jackblack99

ok. so i broke the output shaft.. pulled the OD housing.. got the output changed out and put it all back together. filled the tcase and trans up with fluid.. started the truck put it in reverse and shifted right into gear like it should.. good right..ok so kick it into drive.. and it took a few sec for it to go into drive. left it in neutral... checked the fluid. little low.. put 2 quarts in it and tried it again... still took a few sec to kick into drive.. thought maybe it just needed to circulate and completely fill everything up... so i put it in drive and drive to the end of the drive way.. pull out on the road and it wont shift out of 1st gear.... no matter what. i can pull the shifter back to 1st and shift it to 2nd manually.. nothing. and when i accelerate then let out on the throttle its like it slips into neutral. it wont pick back up into gear and start accelerating again until i reach the RPM i was at when i let out of the throttle. what the hells the deal. all i did was take the OD housing off, change the output shaft and put it back on. any idea's?

i dunno. i didnt pull it back apart. it was fine when i put it together.. i know this because i took it to a reliable shop near me to have the splines lined up.. didnt have the tool to do it. so he took it apart and lined it all up and put it back together for me and said all was good.

anyone.. i am by no means a freakin transmission pro.. bout ready to give this damn truck away.

i dunno. i didnt pull it back apart. it was fine when i put it together.. i know this because i took it to a reliable shop near me to have the splines lined up.. didnt have the tool to do it. so he took it apart and lined it all up and put it back together for me and said all was good.

Just because it was fine when you put it together doesn't mean it is fine now. It was disassembled which means dirt can get in there. Dirt and hydraulic systems don't mix.

It has been a while since I have had an RH apart, but I don't believe that there is any reason you can't take just the governor off of the output shaft to clean it and reassemble it. No special tools required.

i know there are no special tools required.. i just had it apart 2 days ago. he cleaned it all while it was apart and reassembled everything. its sat in my truck wrapped in plastic till i put it on. i was really hoping i wouldnt have to take it back apart. atf+4 aint cheap at $5.60 a quart.

When the shaft snapped it could have sent metal shavings through the tranny and clogged some things up.

I have seen many times where a big pocket of air will get trapped in the tranny when all of the fluid has been taken out such as your case. And this air pocket will make the tranny act just like this. Dont drive it but run it in high rpms for a while in neutral and then check the fluid. I had a truck that had such a big air pocket in it that it kept showing the fluid to be full for a day or two of messing with it and then finally after the truck sat for a full day i guess the air worked itself out cause all of a sudden the fluid wasnt even showing on the dipstick and low and behold it took 3 more quarts and ran perfectly from there on out.

There are 2 tubes coming out of the back of the tranny when the housing is off. Bottom side of tranny towards the passenger side. If you do not mate these with the overdrive housing, that is make sure they align with the housing, it will push these tubes toward the front of the tranny causing what you have going on. Its kind of a male/female fit. Pull the overdrive out and if the tubes don't extend out past the end of the tranny their bent in. Good luck.

i thought i made sure they went in where they were supposed to. the guy that lined up the OD splines told me the same thing. man REALLY dont wanna pull this stupid ass thing back apart...PHUCK!!!!

I might have the location of the lines turned around. They might be coming from the overdrive section into the back of the tranny. Anyway you know what I'm talking about.

can i do that after its been filled with atf+? i mean can i just drain it and fill it with dexron?

You get the parking pall lined up right?

yea. both of the trans shops ive talked to said they could just about garuntee its the govoner.

Back