Multiple codes, stalls but restarts?

i6chick

It's all about leverage
Hi guys, long time no talk,

I've noticed at times Rosie has been a little sluggish recently, feels as if there is a boost leak or turbo is wore out (wouldn't surprise me, she has had a hard life.)

I did some aggressive "I don't want to be late to work driving" this morning, pulled into a gas station and let her idle when I went inside. When I took it out of gear it seemed like the engine did a little something funny like it wanted to go faster? When I got back in the truck and reversed out of the parking lot she stalled, then stalled again when I pulled forward. She started right back up both times but the idle seemed to fluctuate/surge for a second or two. When I was waiting to pull out into traffic with my foot on the brake it felt like I was trying to hold back a poorly behaved horse that just wanted to run lol. I drove about a mile to the shop, she shifted perfectly and ran great.

No check engine light, no other MIL lights but found engine codes:
P0230 (transfer pump circuit out of range)
P1693 (MIL fault in companion module)
P0234 (turbo boost limit exceeded)

Trans Codes:
P0122 (TPS voltage low)
P1683 (speed control power relay circuit)
P1693 again

About a month ago I finally did the Suncoast APPS ground rewire to solve the dreaded torque converter going in and out of lock up issue. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? (P0122 code)

What do ya'll think is going on here? Any time my VP has had issues (P1693) it won't start back up and drive. It just flat out has died. Any time I have had any air in the system to starve the pump it has never started back up without priming. Air Dog lift pump is running and has new filters (P0230). The P0234 might explain the surging and sluggishness (MAP sensor?) but usually my truck throws a P0237 MAP code (Edge drag comp always made my truck throw that code.) I no longer have my drag comp in, never spliced the VP wire again. I run an Industrial Injection HRVP.

Where would you guys start? Clear the codes and see what comes back? Try an APPS relearn? It was relearned after the APPS ground rewire. Clean connections at APPS? I've replaced the computer before, but it didn't act quite like this.

Welcome back!

Agree with Brad on this, and check your grounds as well.

Check Fuel pressure.

If you think it is the map sensor you can unplug the sensor and run a resistor from supply voltage to return and bypass the sensor. You'd want to see about 4.25- 4.5VDC back to the ECM (max boost). Forget what the ohm rating is, it's been 15 years or so since I have messed with it.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks guys. I'll start with grounds. Was going to unhook the batteries and do an APPS relearn.

Do you guys think by doing the suncoast's APPS ground procedure to fix the infamous torque converter clutch cycling issue had anything to do with this?

Alright, thanks guys. I'll start with grounds. Was going to unhook the batteries and do an APPS relearn.

Do you guys think by doing the suncoast's APPS ground procedure to fix the infamous torque converter clutch cycling issue had anything to do with this?

I don’t think so. Not by what u r describing.

What about the fuel filter? That's where I'd start.

Welcome back!

Agree with Brad on this, and check your grounds as well.

If you think it is the map sensor you can unplug the sensor and run a resistor from supply voltage to return and bypass the sensor. You'd want to see about 4.25- 4.5VDC back to the ECM (max boost). Forget what the ohm rating is, it's been 15 years or so since I have messed with it.

HEY ROY!!!! Miss you on book face. Hope you're doing great!

Thanks everybody. Shop is crazy busy so probably won't get to mess with mine at all until I can get everyone else's POS cars out of here LOL. Poor old Rosie is not feeling well.

I talked to Industrial about a pump rebuild price and lead time. They think it's electrical. Apparently since I changed my injectors to I think just 50 overs that's no good for a HRVP. They have to be 225s? I had no idea. So I've been unknowingly damaging it for years because my injectors aren't big enough. smh. Learn something new every day.

Last edited:
What about the fuel filter? That's where I'd start.

I'll check them but I just changed them November 15th, 2019 @ 172k and shes @ 176k now. My air dog is wired to run all the time, have to check pressure at it for the lift pump code. The dying then starting back up is weird to me. All the other codes I'd imagine wouldn't do that. Lack of fuel would but I'd imagine it wouldn't just crank right up. I might have multiple issues here.

Would I be able to feel it if my torque converter was staying locked up intermittently and stalling my engine at idle like it did the parking lot?

I'll check them but I just changed them November 15th, 2019 @ 172k and shes @ 176k now. My air dog is wired to run all the time, have to check pressure at it for the lift pump code. The dying then starting back up is weird to me. All the other codes I'd imagine wouldn't do that. Lack of fuel would but I'd imagine it wouldn't just crank right up. I might have multiple issues here.

I understand that fuel filters really should not cause a stall, but you said the truck seemed sluggish even before you mentioned the stall issue.
I agree with Brad on checking the fuel pressure.

I talked to Industrial about a pump rebuild price and lead time. They think it's electrical. Apparently since I changed my injectors to I think just 50 overs that's no good for a HRVP. They have to be 225s? I had no idea. So I've been unknowingly damaging it for years because my injectors aren't big enough. smh. Learn something new every day.

Stock injectors might be a little small but I have a hard time believe that you need to go all the way up to 225s, that could just be Industrial trying to cover their ass. Regardless, there's no way running too small of an injector would cause an electrical issue with a VP. Might help gall up the timing piston sooner or beat out the cam ring and rollers but not fry the electronics.

Would I be able to feel it if my torque converter was staying locked up intermittently and stalling my engine at idle like it did the parking lot?

Yes. It would feel like driving a manual trans and not disengaging the clutch when you approach a stop. The engine will bog down and try to torque through it. Especially a VP engine.

When the VP died on my past ‘01 truck, it started fine forever, did not stall, and rpm was limited to 1200.

Side bar: What happened with the 1st gen project?

Yeah, my VP did the same thing when it went, wouldn't go over 1200.

I unplugged the trans harness and it is still stalling. It's definitely in the trans. If I go out and start it and get into it without letting it stall (like you said, a manual would) it'll run and shift through all the gears just fine. I have a gauge on it, it never gets above 150. Fluid does not look great though. I don't know if the solenoid is mechanically stuck or if there is a hydraulic issue causing it.

So do I waste money in fluid and messing with solenoids and possible valve body or do I just pull it and have it gone through? I have a billet single disc, HD bands and clutches in it now. It has about 110k on it. I got it done by a guy in Franklin, TN about 11 years ago when I went to school in Nashvegas. My boss says it needs to be pulled and gone through. He's been working on cars for 30 years and is very knowledgeable but I know he also doesn't feel like helping me mess with it. So I'm not sure if his determination is founded on a mechanical hunch or a "lets just pull this thing and send it to another shop so its not taking up a lift" kind of place.

Red Sleeper: first gen is sitting next to my truck in the back of the shop with rusted brake lines. I can't catch a break! LOL. Cab swap went alright. I have to figure out why I can't get the power windows to work yet and still haven't solved the speedo issue. Just haven't had time to mess with it between other projects (boat, everything in my life is broken lol) and the shop has been really busy. I work at a gas shop *sigh* and my boss absolutely hates fking around with diesels so enlisting his help (if he is ever even here) requires a lot of bud light and A LOT of arm twisting.

Last edited:
It does sound like the trans is giving up the ghost, and the VP as well. Unfortunately they are both doing so at the same time. On the trans, you could drop the pan, inspect the fluid drained, and check out the filter. At this point I wouldn't start changing just the solenoids, if issues still persist, pull trans.

On the VP, check fuel pressure, check fuel filters as mentioned by Snedge. If fuel supply is good and clean, yank the VP. Don't let the recent grounding upgrade cloud your diagnostic vision. The issues described could be a lot of different electrical items/issues, but we all know the obvious with these trucks.

Have any of you guys heard anything about the Recon Transtar converters? The shop around here that would be doing my transmission says they use those and would put in a billet dual disc converter. I haven't really heard of that. Usually its just single or triple. They won't warranty it if I get one from somewhere like DPC. I don't know a whole lot about these Recon Transtars

I'd tell them to go phuck themselves and take it someone that will warranty with a DPC.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back