My '08 f350 24v swap.

HLVW wrecker

I bought my '08 f350 with a 5.4L becuase i knew one day i would put a cummins between the framerails. Well i got my pension payout from the army and went ahead and bought a parts truck('01 2500 dodge) and the destroked kit.

35026_10151402800758152_1730647541_n.jpg

once the weather got better because up here it gets ex-girlfriend cold during the winter i started the teardown/swap.

bumper and winch off as a unit.
943757_10151441198388152_443153332_n.jpg

then the engine came out with some finesse(let air out of 37's)
249134_10151446224453152_2007682910_n.jpg

got the parts all bolted on.
308528_10151449309628152_551157268_n.jpg

had an issue with destroked sending me the wrong engine mounts, once that small fiasco was sorted i nailed the engine in, now one thing that concerns me is the engine sits at a 5degree tilt to the drivers side, i was told by destroked that it is because of the cummins fan they do the mounts that way, still kinda seems weird but w/e.

engine in.
941432_10151450776643152_238106982_n.jpg

next on the to-do sheet is pull the hydroboost from the parts truck, get the lines made up and bolt my master to the hydroboost and plumb the lines, connect the pcs harness(figured out that i still need the 4x4 stuff plugged in to the stock pcm after i had the harness unplugged and pulled) mount it and run the harness into the cab, finish off some wiring(run power to ecu - could use some help with this, figure out how to run/wire in an asd relay( i can't brain today, i have the dumb) for the inj pump connect my 2 wire crank sensor to the destroked harness(both wires are black on crank sensor, harness has red w/white stripe - yellow w/white stripe?) get exhaust w/dp off dodge and install into ford, mount rad and coolers, then dodge IC then hopefully make smoke.

sorry for the long winded paragraph, but its the little things left that are un-braining me at this point.

I'll try the search hammer and see what gets nailed back to me in regards to the remaining issues i am having.

the cost of the swap is part of the reason, the parts truck cost me 6k(a runner) so i couldn't really refuse it.

You......should have kept looking for an engine. 24v's can be had for under 2k regularly. Plus nothing on teh dodge is really usefull.

i'm locating in edmonton, and up here a km'd'out - stock - abused 24v can be had for 4k-ish, i got a running truck for 6. The neighbour just finished parting out his '01 dually(sold trans, cab, and engine) and mada almost asmuch as i paid for my parts truck.

well my truck is at Lloyd customs gettin the last little bits done, hoping they can have it done before the august blackout so i can have my '01 cummins truck and the '08 f350 out and see how they do at the track and the dyno.

If by chance could you send a pic of your engine mounts you got from Destroked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

This will be cool!!! But I didn't know that anyone had a 08+ kit to swap.... Unless you had REALLY deep pockets and a few months to let it sit at a shop....

Is this actually gonna work with RPM, AC, etc?

What does it take electronically to fool the truck into thinking the stock motor is still there?

Seriously considering doing this with my 04 Excursion...real tired of the 6.0 issues.

sorry for the late reply, been workin on other projects.

i did away with the a/c(i live in edmonton, its cold basically all the time up here), need to replace the 2-wire cps for a 3-wire commonrail cps to get the tach working.

the folks over at autoworld have been VERY helpful with me in this project(emailing me ALL the instructions even though i didn't buy my kit from them.)

I had it running a few days ago, but the tach wasn't working so i did some digging and thats how i came about the crank sensor issue. Will have that changed over tomorrow, then hopefully i can get onto the tuning.

time for pics.
1453330_10151850556773152_152172617_n.jpg

1463040_10151850556688152_769665823_n.jpg

1480587_10151864512608152_371450766_n.jpg

and a quick vid
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151879973348152

Nice to see it running!!! Honestly, this is my dream truck! I LOVED my 08 FX4, but the 6.4 is just a huge pain in the butt. If I can find a cheap FX4 again, I would love to swap a CR or a P Pumped 24v into it.

Love to see some track and dyno videos too!!!!

sorry for the late reply, been workin on other projects.

i did away with the a/c(i live in edmonton, its cold basically all the time up here), need to replace the 2-wire cps for a 3-wire commonrail cps to get the tach working.

Looks awesome.
I'm a full days drive east of you.
I know what you mean about the AC, lol.

So the key actually put power through to start the engine?
I was always worried that the factory PCM would freak out so bad that it would disable a start altogether.

What works in the truck with the engine totally gone? air bag light? power windows? anything not working?

This was always my biggest worry, that there would be so many codes that the truck would just not let anything work.

Did you leave the injector controller plugged in, or yanked it and left with old engine?

approximate hours i would put at around 100ish, the electrical was the longest part(PCS, gettin the alt to charge, gettin it to start, gettin the lift pump to turn on, gettin the engine to stop)

And to get it to start they key was no issue, since the crank signal is sent through a separate pcm plug than what the engine needs to run(5.4L's have 3 plugs whereas the diesel trucks only have 2)

once i get the last little bits done i will get some dyno numbers and hopefully some sub 17sec timeslips :)

well, i dicked around on the truck today, been fighting with getting the tach to work. Seems like noone has ever swapped out the 5.4L v8 for a cummins.

i can get my destroked box to sync, but the tach on the dash does not read, and i can't start tuning the trans until the tach works.

help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Back