Neck restraint options

BlakeW

AKA a3ftgiant
Ive always used a hans device. But are there any others that you prefer over hans? Ive already got a lot of neck issues from a car accident. So im looking around to order my own this season.

I've been playing with the idea of one also. I've never worn one before and was wondering the draw backs/benefits of the different systems myself.

Try on the Rage from Simpson:
Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage Composite Head Neck Restraint

I tried the various alternatives at the past two PRI shows, that one seemed to be the most comfortable yet secure for me. The only drawback was that they want me to start with the fixed tether version, adjust it, then send it back to them for conversion to the sliding tether version. They said it makes sure they get the adjustment range correct for the slider that way.

a3ftgiant, what kind of vehicle were you using one in? Was it the sliding tether version?

Incidentally, if you plan on running any Top Sportsman racing with a fast diesel (like I plan to with my new truck), a restraint system is required starting this year.

Good idea Blake, of all people needing one it would be me! I'll keep an eye on this thread, I might go back to driving this year. LOL

Do you need a new helmet to run one, or can current on be fitted with attachments?

Try on the Rage from Simpson:
Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage Composite Head Neck Restraint

I tried the various alternatives at the past two PRI shows, that one seemed to be the most comfortable yet secure for me. The only drawback was that they want me to start with the fixed tether version, adjust it, then send it back to them for conversion to the sliding tether version. They said it makes sure they get the adjustment range correct for the slider that way.

a3ftgiant, what kind of vehicle were you using one in? Was it the sliding tether version?

Incidentally, if you plan on running any Top Sportsman racing with a fast diesel (like I plan to with my new truck), a restraint system is required starting this year.

I was filling in for the usual driver in a supra. I was using a fixed but mine will probably be sliding. I wasn't a big fan of wearing it at first but I got used to it. Im going to try and find a rage that I can try on.

Do you need a new helmet to run one, or can current on be fitted with attachments?
You can attach it to your current helmet. Be aware though, that you need to either still wear a neck collar (awkward and not advised by the restraint manufacturers), or wear a head sock or SFI-skirted helmet. Apparently most helmet manufacturers can update a helmet with the skirt, but it's probably cheaper and more convenient to buy a head sock.

I was filling in for the usual driver in a supra. I was using a fixed but mine will probably be sliding. I wasn't a big fan of wearing it at first but I got used to it. Im going to try and find a rage that I can try on.

Just trying to simulate getting in and out of the car (or putting it on in the car), the Rage seemed to be easier to deal with. I could put it on outside the car, get in, then put on my helmet. With the HANS it appeared to make it difficult to either climb in while wearing, or slide into place while in the car.

I've been considering one for a while. I had a high speed crash many years ago, and smacked my helmet on the roll cage top hoop diagonal. Sitting in the seat with my harness fastened as tight as normal (which is damn tight), then stretching my head & neck as far as I could, I still had about 7" to go before I hit that bar. I remain amazed how much my body and the harnesses deflected to allow that impact. One thing that probably helped me was the fact that it wasn't long after I had been a competitive powerlifter and wrestler, and my neck muscles were pretty dang strong. I probably wasn't far from having a basalar skull fracture!

I would get in with everything hooked up and then do the harness. It was tricky sliding in with the bars there. I have been lucky so far the car was pretty easy to keep under control.

Im looking at getting the r3 from race solution (simpson). Beacuse it doesnt require a harness so I can use it for the 12.0 truck as well. Has anyone tried one?

Last edited:
We have been looking into getting one as well.
Michael, do you know if starting this year I will need one for running Super Pro at NHRDA events or will I be fine with out one, I was going to check into a few different speed shops while traveling in the states to find one I like.

Aaron,
Since NHRDA just requires the safety equipment for the ET per NHRA rules, you won't need one until 7.50 in Pro Stock. That said, I think they are a very good investment!

I just ordered mine today from Simpson, I got the Pro Rage system. I think it will be the best invstment that we purchased for our Pro Stock and and I hope to He!! i never need to use it.

Back