need an honest non biast opinion

99seventhree

i really stuck between putting a 5.9cr in my 99 superduty or just buying a duramax. which one will be easier and cheaper to make power with? i know a duramax will be nicer than my 99 reg cab ford but a whole truck is also more expensive? so what would you guys do if you were in my shoes thanks

I would go with the cummins just for the durability and simplicity.... i know the swap would be a challenge but in the long run i think you would be happier

duramaxes would make some easy power, but when you get into trans and everything else, you will have to spend double what you would on the cummins.....

swap a 5.9 p-pumped cummins into it. it will be cheaper than a new truck. for a good amount of power tends to snap the d-max rods say 500hp.

It will depend a lot on what you intend to do with the truck.

I would get a Dmax 'cause it sounds like you're kind of wanting a nicer truck anyhow. Ya it's going to cost more money than a conversion but I'm guessing the conversion will cost about what your 99 is worth which is also something to think about. (not really sure if you're doing it yourself or whatever, conversions can cost as much or as little as you want). Plus buying a newer nicer truck would be way simpler and less aggravating than going through a conversion process. Do what you want but if I had to choose between a bunch of work to make my '99 SD the way I wanted it or buying a Dmax, I'd buy a Dmax.

Just stick a 12v in there. Half the price of a CR and more reliably than both cr and duraturd.

you need to decide is it the motor or the new truck thats driving your decision.

its in your hp goals...if you dont care for anything over 600 stay with the 7.3...if you feal the need to go big then 12valve..i see no point in buying the duramax unless you want a diffrent truck

I would get a Dmax 'cause it sounds like you're kind of wanting a nicer truck anyhow. Ya it's going to cost more money than a conversion but I'm guessing the conversion will cost about what your 99 is worth which is also something to think about. (not really sure if you're doing it yourself or whatever, conversions can cost as much or as little as you want). Plus buying a newer nicer truck would be way simpler and less aggravating than going through a conversion process. Do what you want but if I had to choose between a bunch of work to make my '99 SD the way I wanted it or buying a Dmax, I'd buy a Dmax.

Put a 12v P-pump Cummins in it. Ford chassis is bigger and roomier, and I think you could do the whole thing for 5-6K in parts, it's been done plenty. If it does break (which it won't) YOU can fix the Cummins - if the D-max breaks (they are more reliable than Ford's 6.0L, but not as good as common rails or 12-valves), set aside a weekend and call your mortgage broker. If all you do is tow and drive on the highway, a Chevy will give you the best ride though...

The Common rail will be quieter and smoke less, but lots more $ and complicated - 12-valves need exactly 2 wires to run them - one for fuel shutoff and one for the starter - ok, maybe one for a ground - so 3. Also, the 12-valve (if not too extreme and tuned well) will get the best mileage.

If all you want is 400-500hp I'd stay with the 7.3L - I used to drive my cummins to work at the Ford dealer and work on/around the 7.3L and 6.0L (not bashing). I actually think the 7.3L Powerstrokes are good engines for what it's worth. Much beyond 500hp and you are asking for it. The v8s will start breaking hard parts in the engine, and although the Cummins won't break - getting from the 400hp mark to 500+ will get expensive (studs, turbos, gaskets, orings, injection pumps, etc) no matter which brand.

If you are going to the trouble of a swap get a Cummins, but leave the Ford trans in it. I think stock vs stock the Ford (automatic) trans is better/stronger.

Just my 2 cents. I have owned several Cummins trucks but worked on all of them. A Ford 7.3L would be my second choice if I could not have a Cummins, the Dmax a distant third. You would have to pay ME to get me to own a Ford 6.0L or 6.4L...

oh - one more IMPORTANT thing - whenever you are considering and engine swap, buy the WHOLE vehicle with the engine. The dumb little stuff will destroy your time and budget, and you can always sell the leftovers to get some $ back. 2wd 12valve trucks are pretty cheap...

if it were me, I'd just get a Dmax truck because I don't have the time/space to do a conversion, and it sounds like you wouldn't mind having a newer truck with some more interior room.

if you had a clean crew cab Ford, I would say go for it, you could get decent money for it, but single cab swaps don't really fetch much money IMO

if it were me, I'd just get a Dmax truck because I don't have the time/space to do a conversion, and it sounds like you wouldn't mind having a newer truck with some more interior room.

if you had a clean crew cab Ford, I would say go for it, you could get decent money for it, but single cab swaps don't really fetch much money IMO
I love Cummins about as much as this guy. I agree with him here too.

So.... I guess buying a Dodge is completely out of the question?

I'm guessing he wants some cab room without having to spend $25k+ on a mega cab, hence the Dmax

swapping the Cummins into the single cab ford would be a huge waste of time IMO... I'd venture that 1/2 the Fummins trucks I see for sale are single cabs... more than half of the rest are busted-ass trucks to begin with. The single cabs fetch single digit prices.

If you start with a NICE/CLEAN crew cab, you can get 20's-30's for a Cummins swap, but starting with a truck that nobody (including you) really wants, is a waste :eek:

Put a 12v P-pump Cummins in it. Ford chassis is bigger and roomier, and I think you could do the whole thing for 5-6K in parts, it's been done plenty. If it does break (which it won't) YOU can fix the Cummins - if the D-max breaks (they are more reliable than Ford's 6.0L, but not as good as common rails or 12-valves), set aside a weekend and call your mortgage broker. If all you do is tow and drive on the highway, a Chevy will give you the best ride though...

That can be said of all of them. A 12v can hang an injector and melt down like anyone else

The Common rail will be quieter and smoke less, but lots more $ and complicated - 12-valves need exactly 2 wires to run them - one for fuel shutoff and one for the starter - ok, maybe one for a ground - so 3. Also, the 12-valve (if not too extreme and tuned well) will get the best mileage.

There are 7 wires to do a VP or CR (maybe a few more, cant remember the number of grounds). A ppumped 24v can get better mileage than a 12v. They can all smoke like hell.

If all you want is 400-500hp I'd stay with the 7.3L - I used to drive my cummins to work at the Ford dealer and work on/around the 7.3L and 6.0L (not bashing). I actually think the 7.3L Powerstrokes are good engines for what it's worth. Much beyond 500hp and you are asking for it. The v8s will start breaking hard parts in the engine, and although the Cummins won't break - getting from the 400hp mark to 500+ will get expensive (studs, turbos, gaskets, orings, injection pumps, etc) no matter which brand.

500-600 in any cummins is getting almost idiot proof. 400-500 in a 7.3 is a chore.

If you are going to the trouble of a swap get a Cummins, but leave the Ford trans in it. I think stock vs stock the Ford (automatic) trans is better/stronger.

47RH from a dodge, simple, strong, cheap. It will cost a boat load to make the ford auto work.

Just my 2 cents. I have owned several Cummins trucks but worked on all of them. A Ford 7.3L would be my second choice if I could not have a Cummins, the Dmax a distant third. You would have to pay ME to get me to own a Ford 6.0L or 6.4L...

oh - one more IMPORTANT thing - whenever you are considering and engine swap, buy the WHOLE vehicle with the engine. The dumb little stuff will destroy your time and budget, and you can always sell the leftovers to get some $ back. 2wd 12valve trucks are pretty cheap...

The only parts I used off a donor truck were the CAC pipes and the battery cables. The cables were not needed if I had left the batteries in stock locations.

There is always about $1000 worth of little chit in a conversion for anything.

I'd love to have a single cab Fummins

X2. 97 with a ve and zf5 engine is on my bucket list.

FYI, if I remember the proper screen name...the op is a female.

Last edited:
I have always leaned towards Ford trucks but I have to say my old LB7 CC 02 Duramax was a reliable, nice, fast truck that I loved. IMO nothing sounds better than a LB7 straight piped Duramax. Be prepared to spend big bucks on the tranny upgrade. But once that is done, intake, exhaust, lift pump, EFI live, BD boost valve and you are at around 450-500hp depending on your tuning. 500HP and beyond you are playing with fire on the early rod designs. If you want to run it at the track and it is 4x4 be prepared to spend some cash on the front end.

I would only due a cummins conversion in a clean crewcab 6.0 personally. The 7.3 is a good motor it would just not be a 1st choice for big power.

Back