Need enclosed trailer suggestions for pulling truck.

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer for my pulling truck and I need some advice.

So far from what I can figure, I will need thirty feet of room inside the box for the truck and a razor or similar. I don't think I can get away with less than three 7000 pound axles. My track width is 82 inches wide so I won't have to pull the outer duals to fit. I am not ready to buy a semi, so hopefully my Dodge dually can handle the job!

What options do you suggest? If you have one what did you do right or what would you do different next time? Where is a good place to buy?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

3 axles is good, gives more brakes. Hard to find heavy enuf tires for 7000 lbs axles tho.
Most trailers are setup for UTV in the front, pulling truck in the back. But when you get to the pull, you always want the UTV out, not the truck[if it's raining, or you aren't pulling that session]
Make sure it comes with a heavy duty rear door option, most trailer rear doors are made for 3000lbs race cars! You got that much on 1 front tire!
You probly won't save a dime, buying a enclosed trailer vs buying a semi/van trailer. But you can drive the dually more. Semi is going set all the time[nothing harder on a Semi than just setting, not getting used]

Thanks. I figure that my truck is 22 feet long with the water box. Add room for a razor and I am in need of 30 feet in the box. That puts me in the 40 foot trailer range. That is going to put me into the 3 x 8000 pound axles. This is getting out of hand quickly and I may put it off another year.

I would stay away from a United trailer Mark seen a lot of crappy craftsmanship on there stuff.

This is the trailer I considered before I went and bought another flatbed. Very nice construction, very helpful on the phone and a huge amount of options. ATC Trailers - All ATC Products

They build all aluminum and aluminum/steel trailers.

-Tom

I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer for my pulling truck and I need some advice.

So far from what I can figure, I will need thirty feet of room inside the box for the truck and a razor or similar. I don't think I can get away with less than three 7000 pound axles. My track width is 82 inches wide so I won't have to pull the outer duals to fit. I am not ready to buy a semi, so hopefully my Dodge dually can handle the job!

What options do you suggest? If you have one what did you do right or what would you do different next time? Where is a good place to buy?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

I just bought a semi trailer to haul our drag trucks with and I happen to have one for sale. Its a 96 Transport Design trailer. Its 44 ft total, it has an 8000 lb rear door an over head crane, a 15k diesel generator, on board compressor with air lines through out, lighted, finished floor and walls and has 2 heaters/ac's. It needs a little work on the generator door and one side door, but its a really nice trailer. I'm asking 15k Let me know if your interested. Tim

photobucket-15587-1352935341717.jpg

I just bought a semi trailer to haul our drag trucks with and I happen to have one for sale. Its a 96 Transport Design trailer. Its 44 ft total, it has an 8000 lb rear door an over head crane, a 15k diesel generator, on board compressor with air lines through out, lighted, finished floor and walls and has 2 heaters/ac's. It needs a little work on the generator door and one side door, but its a really nice trailer. I'm asking 15k Let me know if your interested. Tim

Nice W9 :drool1:

From some one who has an enclosed trailer, you will want it longer then 30'. Mine is 40' and with the truck in it and a 4 wheeler its tight. 30 isnt going to leave you any room for anything. With the razor in the front you wont beable to move around it to strap the truck down and you dont want the truck in the front for weight issues on the tow rig. 3 axles is a must. Mine has 2 and the axles carry the load fine but the tires dont and give up easily. Needs to be 102 and 8' high. A single wheel truck with duals wont go in a 96 wide trailer easily. You are going to need ramps inside to get over the wheel wells of the trailer so 8' is a minimum for a truck

Last edited:

That looks like a deal with all the extras. I am afraid that I will need your type of tow vehicle though to pull it. What size axles are on it?

Mark we have pretty much the exact same size trailer and my F350 tows it like nothing.

It has 3 7k axles and I pulled it with my F 350 and my Mega cab. Oh it also has brand new brakes on it as well. If you want more pics of it, let me know and I'll send them to you.

I'd be looking hard at an old moving trailer and a fleet spec freightliner tractor with condo bunk. I'd bet you could get a truck in the upper 2000's model year and a trailer for 15k. I'm not sure about the US but up here as long as you put a composting toilet and bar fridge in the bunk you can register it as an RV and not need a CDL.

If you want a moving trailer, go to truckpaper.com and you will find a large selection. Most priced pretty low compared to what you will have in an aluminum three axle trailer.

This is my setup. The trailer i picked up used off a surplus and salvage store that was closing for $2500. Its a united 50' with 7000# dexter axles. The trucks a bone stock 05 2x4 6speed. The whole unit is over gcvw at 26,500 but the truck handles it well and will easily do 70 on the highways up here in New England.

Attachments

• 2011-07-30 09.59.33.jpg
    2011-07-30 09.59.33.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
Back