Need Help 12v towing

BlackCloudDodge

Call me Carmelo Hazard
I have a 1996 12v 3500 4x4 with a western hauler bed its stock but im wanting to know what would be the best setup for towing i will be hauling cars so i need to kno what to do to keep egts down an have a little performance

The ideal turbo set up is towing twins. Pricey, but well worth it.
That is on top of my ""I want this next" list.

My setup is very nice...S300 58ETT/65/12 from ED, DDP3's. no plate, 181's, 3K's, and a Helix 2

378/998 @ 1200* max on the dyno, will touch 1300* on the street up above 100mph.
Chris

Also, getting ready to swap in a rack plug and go for 400:D

with that turbo setup an gov springs would the 90 ddps be any good for the pulling?

DDP 90's are the same as what I'm running...pulling trailers, or sled pulling??

Chris

All my truck does is pull...empty weight of truck and trailer is over 16K, loaded is anywhere from 25-35K gross weight...tows like a dream...stops a little worse, but not bad anymore!

Chris

Here's my truck...
100_3034.JPG

as stated

i have towed some heavy stuff before, not like chris above, but many cattle trailers, many bales, tractors etc.. the heaviest i grossed was 31.5K with a 3/4 ton 12 valve and what worked for me best towing, EGT wise and everything was twins

my towing setup was

35/14 over an S400/26 cm housing, crossdrilled housing on the 14 cm housing to gate all six cylinders
stock 181 DVs on a 215 pump
16.5 degrees of timing
Dragonfly injectors 150 horse industrial injection
AFE filter intake
4K rpm kit from PDR
AFC halfway forward, starwheel at 3/4 forward
100 fuel plate at 1/2 forward

this towing setup spooled QUICK.. and made with CRAPPY TUNING... 429 rwhp, TQ was unread, but was pretty close to 1000 ft lbs. EGTS were at the most 1300 degrees. on the dyno, and was over 20 MPG on the highway empty...

that same setup wtih 191 DVs yielded 450/1000 and was my favorite street setup, IE what i sold the truck with... big mistake and i regret it daily... egts were 1400-1450 on the dyno and got the same mileage as 181 dvs

add full cuts to that, and my best was 514/1096 on a dyno sheet, that was also with everything full forward or pretty close to it... it was a great setup, it was just too smokey on the street, and egts were really hard to manage with that much heat..., it would bog down if you didnt roll into it... and just smoke and make heat... again not my favorite..

you have a great start tho.. just twin it, g spring it, and call it ready....

FWIW.. my 12V pulled better than my 05 at even the same power level my 05 is at... i wanna buy and build a 12V again, if that gives you an idea...

it all was held by a valair inc clutch WITHOUT HESITATION...

My brother just put an he351cw over s475/83/1.10 and it kicks butt. He had run the 35/40/14cm over bht3b/26 and his new set cools so much better and spools really good. I'm going to switch my twins over to what he is running. We also raced and he was able to pull away from me like he had at least 50hp more than me.

I would say that if you're not wanting to pull with alot of hp, just put an he351cw on there. They're cheap and do a good job. My brother and I both pull at high alltitude, which makes a big difference.

would a #10 plate with heavy towing cause to high of egts? if not id like to go with either #10 or #8

Alright then would the exhaust manifold cool it down?

not so much so

the crossdrilled manifold would gate all six cylinders to reduce the driveline pressure and reduce your chances of blowing a headgasket more than anything else..

and a 10 plate is great for towing, you dont have to watch the pyro as much... and if you have problems with heavy towing, i never did with a 100, just back off the plate.

it all comes down to your own control of your fuel with the 10 plate.. its pretty forgiving due to the defueling in the center

Back