Need help ASAP!!!

cmont58

Yankee
Truck sputtered missed and died going down the interstate today. No throttle response and puffed white and black smoke while sputtering. I could really use some help figuring this out while I wait for a tow truck in Knoxville.

Is there fuel in the tank?

Kinda what it sounds like. This happened to me too. Dealer didnt tell me the fuel gauge didnt work past half tank.

Also check all your fuses. My 01's ecm power fuse took a crap n just up and shut down on me.

No codes and the gauge reads 1/2 but that's the first thing I'm gonna check

Y'all were right sending unit quit working. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Last edited:
Yea I'm very relieved just have to keep track of my mileage on my way home.

My '96 Plymouth Grand Voyager has a faulty fuel level sendor. I have the ole lady trained to run every tank by mileage cause I'm not dropping the fuel tank until the fuel pump quits, at which point it will get a complete new tank module.

Yea I'm very relieved just have to keep track of my mileage on my way home.

Before you go and put your new sending unit in, Drop the tank and check to see if the sending unit it turned 1/4 turn. If it is, it could show that its 1/2 full because its hitting the side of the tank. If someone has already had it down, and didnt have it clocked right, then this can happen. There should be two lines on the tank and an arrow on the cap. Make sure they're lined up right!

Just buy a new truck, everyone has the old model year on sale. LOL

Back