Need help fast! Glow plug tip broke!

BramanteCummins

ADD maniac
Doing a long list of work on this 05 and the last thing to do was glow plugs, they all went fine till one didn't seat right. Went to take it out and the damn thing broke in there. Best methods WITHOUT pulling the head?

Is it in there tight ? Compression from spinning the engine would not pop it out? if it did not fall down in the cylinder.

If its not in the cylinder, fire it up and make some pulls. The cylinder pressure ought to dislodge it.
And i am being serious.

Going to try running it hard for a bit, if that doesn't do it ill put the high pressure vacuum on it with the engine running. If that doesn't do it a carbide drill is going down there with the cylinder pressurized as a last resort. I don't need ANOTHER motor taken apart. I'll keep you guys posted.

You probably already started pulling the heads. If you didnt....... Maybe you could try drilling the glow plug and tapping it for something small like a number 12 machine screw,or something metric like 5mm. Then make up a tiny slide hammer and weld said screw to it and try to pop that little guy out of there.

You probably already started pulling the heads. If you didnt....... Maybe you could try drilling the glow plug and tapping it for something small like a number 12 machine screw,or something metric like 5mm. Then make up a tiny slide hammer and weld said screw to it and try to pop that little guy out of there.

Have you ever done this?
Do you have any experience with removing broken glow plugs on duramax cylinder heads?
I have, even with the head off the engine it's a challenge to remove the seized piece without damaging the head.

Have you ever done this?
Do you have any experience with removing broken glow plugs on duramax cylinder heads?
I have, even with the head off the engine it's a challenge to remove the seized piece without damaging the head.

X2. When that bastard breaks, just pull the head.

Head is off the little bastrd is out and looking at how clogged up this poor thing is and the way the gasket was bulging/swelled I'm not comfortable leaving the other head alone. It's getting studs now as well.

Head is off the little bastrd is out and looking at how clogged up this poor thing is and the way the gasket was bulging/swelled I'm not comfortable leaving the other head alone. It's getting studs now as well.

I had a head stud job about a month ago. Low mileage LLY, we were going to do studs 1 at a time. Truck showed up, some pressure, and a suspicious gurgle. Customer said just stud it. We got it down far enough to stud it that night and went home. The next day the customer called with a change of heart, when we got the heads off, sure enough the fire ring in the factory gasket was starting to split.

I have done a few of these with my brother inlaw, and his buddy and him have done a few as well. Unfortunately with an LLY, it seems as though its not if the gaskets fail, but when.

I'm hating this truck more and more. Sending the heads out to get decked cleaned and checked for cracks leaks etc. this morning. Ordering studs and new gaskets tonight.

ehegu4a7.jpg

Have you ever done this?

X3 I have an LB7 head that a customer twisted off 2 glow plugs in, I pulled the head and after 4 machine shops tried and failed to remove them we decided it was cheaper to buy a used head.

I'm hating this truck more and more. Sending the heads out to get decked cleaned and checked for cracks leaks etc. this morning. Ordering studs and new gaskets tonight.

ehegu4a7.jpg

If there is no marks in the head, having em decked is a wasted of money.
If you are having em Hot tanked, see if the shop will do all the intake pieces as well, they are a PITA to clean all the EGR related gunk out.

X3 I have an LB7 head that a customer twisted off 2 glow plugs in, I pulled the head and after 4 machine shops tried and failed to remove them we decided it was cheaper to buy a used head.

I get those glow plugs out all the time no problem. The local engine shop brings them to us at our machine shop frequently and we get them out. Shortly before winter ( when guys are changing glow plugs) its not uncommon to do 2 or 3 a week. Ive also had a couple where i got the whole truck and saved another shop from having to pull the head.

Back