Need help with cruise control

smokn_ram

Plowboy8550
ive got an 01 truck with a 6 sp. ive got a 99 engine in it with an ecm for an auto. the cruise loops between the ecm and the truck on a manual and the autos use the servo. would it work if i found an ecm for a manual, does it need to be for an 01 then i have to worry about the crank sensor? or do i have any other options? Any help would be greatly app thanks

ive got an 01 truck with a 6 sp. ive got a 99 engine in it with an ecm for an auto. the cruise loops between the ecm and the truck on a manual and the autos use the servo. would it work if i found an ecm for a manual, does it need to be for an 01 then i have to worry about the crank sensor? or do i have any other options? Any help would be greatly app thanks

is the clutch saftey switch wired up correctly. If you just grounded it, it thinks the clutch is in all the time and wont let the cruise work

Yea its wired up right my cruise indicator by the odometer wont even light up im not getiing a conn with the ecm..

Your best bet would be to put the '01 manual ECM on that engine. You'll want to get the sensors and harness just in case too.

The reason your light isn't coming on any more is because the '99 ECM doesn't have the capacity to do cruise internally like the '01 ECM.

If you haven't tried adding the older style cruise solenoid that mounts under the battery tray, you might try that. Maybe, just maybe the PCM behind the airbox will learn that it has that feature when you plug it in.

Good luck

They're only electronic on the trucks with manual transmissions. Autos of the same year still used the cable actuator (not really vacuum).

Check the manufacture date of the engine. Most likely a late '00 build engine.

EDIT: maybe he's right that the cutoff was '01.5. I forget now.

ok guys thanks for the help if anyone would happen to know where an 01 ecm is at send me a pm.. I app all the help

Ok... I'm going to try to revive this thread... mines an 01.5, I pulled my dash to change my heater core and about a week after that my cruise control indicator would come on but the cruise quit working... I figured I just disconnected a vacuum line somewhere but after tracing the lines, I can't find any place that its disconnected.

I had my truck apart all week and after getting it on the road again yesterday, the cruise indicator light doesn't come on anymore.

Where do I start?

Lavon

I have a question about the cruise control on my 02 6sp. Does the ecm some setting so you cant use the cruise above 85mph. I tried setting the cruise above 85mph and also tried setting it a 80mph the using the cruise to acclerate and max it would go was 85mph. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Ok... I'm going to try to revive this thread... mines an 01.5, I pulled my dash to change my heater core and about a week after that my cruise control indicator would come on but the cruise quit working... I figured I just disconnected a vacuum line somewhere but after tracing the lines, I can't find any place that its disconnected.

I had my truck apart all week and after getting it on the road again yesterday, the cruise indicator light doesn't come on anymore.

Where do I start?

Lavon

Clockspring in the steering wheel, start checking continuity and/or signal to the ECM/PCM. The cruise buttons on the steering wheel should do nothing but supply a ground signal to the computer so finding the first plug will likely do you some good.

If you use your tilt all the time you might make sure the wire's in the column are not broken. That was the problem with mine when i got it.

I have a question about the cruise control on my 02 6sp. Does the ecm some setting so you cant use the cruise above 85mph. I tried setting the cruise above 85mph and also tried setting it a 80mph the using the cruise to acclerate and max it would go was 85mph. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Now that you mention the 85mph, I think that there is a cutoff. Much like 30-35mph for the low end. I think the theory was that they didn't want to encourage driving that fast, and if you did choose to drive that fast they wanted the driver to be in total control.

Now that you mention the 85mph, I think that there is a cutoff. Much like 30-35mph for the low end. I think the theory was that they didn't want to encourage driving that fast, and if you did choose to drive that fast they wanted the driver to be in total control.

Yup 35 and 85 are the limits of cruise.

Back