Need help with difficult problem

yjay

My truck has a gremlin we cannot pin down. It died on me while driving. Was stuttering under power, so I pulled over. Fuel pressure dropped to 14, idled for a minute, then lost all fuel pressure and died. The Air Dog motor died, so I replaced it. When you try to start it, sometimes it starts, sometimes not, sometimes it will run then die, or will be running when you pull the key out, If it dies or doesn't start, the relays click on and off like crazy with the key in the run position. Have swapped out the ignition, ecm, ctm, cleaned all grounds, taken off the Edge, and am now at a complete loss. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you. I'm about ready to give up.

How do you have the fuel pump relay wired? What gauge wire are you using and how do you have it grounded?

1999 VP pump truck right?

Cycle the key on/off five times fast, then leave it on, and you'll display codes where the odometer is.

My 99 won't display codes, I think it was 00 or 01 when they started that. Most big name parts stores will have a code reader you can borrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 99 won't display codes, I think it was 00 or 01 when they started that. Most big name parts stores will have a code reader you can borrow.

hmm I didn't know that. OP if you have an android smart phone, you can do like me and download the Torque app (I got TorquePro ($5) to support the guy), and buy an OBD2/Bluetooth Dongle ($8) like shown below:
elm03.jpg

It will read 3.3 times per second to give you real time readouts of sensors, read codes, clear codes, and some other fun stuff.

hmm I didn't know that. OP if you have an android smart phone, you can do like me and download the Torque app (I got TorquePro ($5) to support the guy), and buy an OBD2/Bluetooth Dongle ($8) like shown below:
elm03.jpg

It will read 3.3 times per second to give you real time readouts of sensors, read codes, clear codes, and some other fun stuff.
That too ^^^^those work surprisingly well for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mine does not so the code thing, but I can bring them up on my Edge. No code present. It is at a shop now and they are stumped. They installed the lift pump a couple years ago and no issues till this happened, and said they have checked the wiring on it.

Is the problem with the lift pump not running or with the engine not running? Does the truck have any aftermarket security system?

Lift pump works fine when the truck decides to work. It isn't the problem. When it doesn't start or dies, the electrical goes nuts. Relays and what not go on and off as if you were cycling the key super fast when in the run position.

Is the problem with the lift pump not running or with the engine not running? Does the truck have any aftermarket security system?

Lift pump works fine when the truck decides to work. It isn't the problem. When it doesn't start or dies, the electrical goes nuts. Relays and what not go on and off as if you were cycling the key super fast when in the run position.

I think he is onto something. I had a VP that my 1500 key worked in as well, so I just used one key, then one day I somehow set off the security and ti did something similar to this. There was a purple wire somewhere or something that I had to ground to continue using one key for both trucks.

The truck would start and then kill itself after a second and then do some crazy on/off thing with the electronics. It was an 01 VP and a 98 1500.

Just seems very odd for the truck to keep running with the key out of the ignition, seems like something is telling it to keep running and by the list of parts you have replaced it has narrowed it down quite a bit, have seen many issues with aftermarket alarm systems causing no starts or intermittent shut downs. I would also check battery connections very well, would be very surprised at what weak grounds can do.

The truck has the factory alarm setup IE Dodge fob. Would that maybe be the issue? If so, how do you disable it? Grounds have been checked and cleaned thoroughly.

factory alarm wouldn't keep the truck running. sounds like you have an ecm issue. the next time it does it pull the asd relay and see what it does.

also i just had an issue with an airdog II harness shorting to ground. had two exposed spade end connectors shorting to ground and taking out an ecm fuse.

does it have atorque limiter box from bd on it? or a turbo timer?

also look under the steering column at that big plug towards the firewall. ive had an issue with mine barley comin apart and it would make the truck stall..i hit it with my boot and the truck just quit..was the only way I ever found it

I didn't see where you tested/replaced any relays. A bad relay can do weird chit.

factory alarm wouldn't keep the truck running. sounds like you have an ecm issue. the next time it does it pull the asd relay and see what it does.

also i just had an issue with an airdog II harness shorting to ground. had two exposed spade end connectors shorting to ground and taking out an ecm fuse.

ASD? Please elaborate.

does it have atorque limiter box from bd on it? or a turbo timer?

also look under the steering column at that big plug towards the firewall. ive had an issue with mine barley comin apart and it would make the truck stall..i hit it with my boot and the truck just quit..was the only way I ever found it

Torque limiter is for an auto I assume correct? No BD gear on the truck and it's a 5 speed.
The Edge does have a turbo timer.
Will check the plug, Thanks.

Back