Need help with ecm reflashing.

nrose07

I love high sulfur
My alternator is making a bunch of AC current after my grid heater relays stuck on last summer. I didn't replace the relays until this week so I didn't realize the ecm wasn't doing a preheat or fuel pump prime pre-start. I also remote start every morning so I didn't hear the fass fire off. So my questions.

1, I'm having my spare denso alternator rebuilt. But should I find a Bosch instead? They aren't subject to diode failure as easily.

2, Will the ecm continue to further fail past this point or will a new alternator halt the progression.

3, Who and or with what does it take to reflash a new/used ECM. Dodge/Cummins, high end scanner, Smarty, etc.

These questions Google and the forums haven't answered. Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different truck but my dad had his 300k mile alternator in his 04 rebuilt by his go to alternator/starter rebuilder. Been doing great for the last 15k miles. Aren't denso what the factory ones are? At least the starters I think. I'm not very knowledgeable on electronics but I'm pretty sure a smarty would do it just fine, just not sure if it would be the most cost effective option, don't know what the dealership charges or the typical charge from a scanner or which one would be needed.

Last edited:
Denso and Bosch are both factory. The Denso unit are more common and are prone to having their diodes fail which creates AC voltage in a DC system.

Back