need help with head issues

trqmnstr

so i recently used up my head gasket and am trying to figure out what i need to do to make sure i only have to do this once. a few years back i had a shop put in a cam head studs fire rings and a 20 over gasket on. the shop that did the work is no longer around so i cant ask them any questions. the machinist that has my head now said the fire rings were poorly cut out and thinks that was the most likely cause for the failure. we talked about decking out the grooves and running a thicker gasket to keep it at the same height but he doesnt think we can take that much off of the head with out running into valve clearance issues. after looking at it in further detail with the gasket he thinks if he just decks it flat and leaves the grooves the gasket will cover the grooves and we would be good to go.
does this sound not quite right to anyone else? im also not quite sure as to what size injector washers i will need but i guess that will depend on the final outcome of the head. any help is greatly appreciated as this is my dd and work truck so i need it up and running asap, thanks in advance :bang

If your unsure just get a different head. I wouldnt leave grooves in the head and expect the gasket to seal right. The stock gasket is supplied with a compression ring for a reason and the groove will suck up all that compression ring and give you leaks that will eat headgaskets left and right.

yeah i was pretty much thinking along those lines but i think i just needed to hear it from someone else too. thanks

Back