Need Help With Timing

12vdiesel

I have a 96 with a s300 turbo and 191 DVs and 370 marine injectors i recently bought the truck and it still has stock timing and fuel mileage sucks 11 to 12 mpg wanting to do timing i have all the tools to do it with and i have 4kgsk that im putting in as well along with 60lbVS what is everyones recommendations on timing and any other mods i should do to the truck im sure the HG is soon to go it is leaking in under the the thermostat housing nothing real major i have been told that it is nothing to worry about just keep driving and keep check on coolant and watch for white smoke what is the opinions on that as well

1... search function
2...replace the headgasket
3...18 degrees
4... search function

i would change the HG if its leaking before adding any timing, the 60lb springs are probably not needed until you are spinnin over 4k, 18 degrees is porably where you want to be.... and the truck will come alive

370's are junk....

studs at least, o-rings would be smart....

i would change the HG if its leaking before adding any timing, the 60lb springs are probably not needed until you are spinnin over 4k, 18 degrees is porably where you want to be.... and the truck will come alive

370's are junk....

Ahey! Don't talk about dem 370's like that.

i would fix the head gasket and stud it first but if ur not goin to i wouldnt go past 14-14.5

If you don't know the answer shut up because giving out your wrong answers around people who do know makes you look stupid.

PS: You're not texting your phucking girlfriend here, so the English and punctuation rules apply to you as well.

OP - I have no idea what size "S300" you run, but if you're calculating fuel mileage you certainly don't need the extra fuel from dirty 370's or 191's. I fuel compounds with 181's just fine. People have done 600hp with em. Sell the 191's put in the stockers and sell the 370's. Use that money to fix your headgasket and whats left over start saving for decent injectors or a clutch. Make sure those head bolts are done right and have someone who knows their poop set your timing at least to stock if not a little over. You're pissing away diesel the way it is now.

Is you're plan to have a usable daily driver, tow truck, or toy?

Last edited:
Add just a lil make the head gasket last and not blow out and it will start a lil better and mileage will come up. Just did put 14.5* in my f450 with 96 12v and mileage came up 2 mpg no studs same on my buddy's 12v we added 16*and mileage came up 3 mpg with studs

370's are junk....

60lb or better is highly recommended for any rpm higher than stock and higher boost. I've got bent push rods even with them. Better safe than sorry.

18 is a good spot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've been looking into chromoly pushrods, may give them a little more consideration.

Best mileage i got out of my 2wd was with 370s 16.5° and 181 dvs. 24mpg from Colorado to south Dakota.

Sent from the recliner butt naked

I put 40k miles on mine at 18* with the stock gasket and head bolts. Turbo was pushing 55 psi.

I ran at least 75K on mine at 19.5 timing on a stock headgasket and bolts. now I'm running 20 on the timing.

i would fix the head gasket and stud it first but if ur not goin to i wouldnt go past 14-14.5

What a puss. I'd go to 17 if your looking for mileage at a safe setting. My truck has been at 26* for over 2 years now on stock bolts. My best mileage I ever got was with 21* 5x.012 injectors, super hx40 and stock delivery valves. I was getting 21.5 almost 22 with that setup.

Every truck acts different. When you get to searching more on this you'll find that out. My truck liked 21* for mileage, my dads is liking 12* for mileage right now. So it's a trial and error at best to see what YOUR engine likes.

Thanks for all the input form every one new to the whole fourm thing. So sorry for any typos..

Back