need help with timing

4WheelinFreak

Metal Butcher
My pump won't stay at the timing I set it at when I pull the gear off the shaft, I want 22* which is .240 and every time I pull the gear it jumps back to between .110 and .120. I even tried really advancing it to .340 to try and offset it and still goes all the way back to .110

clean and dry the shaft better, put a new wave washer on it and possibly use locktite on the gear, and torque to proper specs.

He's not talking about the timing slipping when he's tightening the nut. Try taking a rag and grabbing the shaft. Just be really carful not to mess up the threads. Or pin the pump take the gear off then put it back on just tight enough so it doesn't slip when you rotate the motor. The set it to whatever timing you want and pop it off.

Gotcha, pump is rolling over before gear gets tight..
Try bumping the engine over,snugging the gear then checking, then tighten..

Gotcha, pump is rolling over before gear gets tight..
Try bumping the engine over,snugging the gear then checking, then tighten..

He's talking about the pump jumping back when he pops the gear off.

You can make a tool from a pump nut with a smaller nut and a jam bolt that is the cats ass for barring the pump. Short of that is installing the gear as lightly as you can for it to turn the pump and not have much of a pop when you remove it. I've had a couple pumps that would jump back with the slightest bump, took a long time to get it timed where I wanted it.

215 pump.......break the pump nut loose, pin the pump, pop the gear loose and back the motor up to advance!

Jim

And if you don't have the pump pin just put the flat in the window, it will stay there.

Tried just snugging the nut this morning, same story. Gonna run to the hardware store and get another nut and I'll try double nutting it. And I can't really pin the pump since its still set at stock timing.

215 pump.......break the pump nut loose, pin the pump, pop the gear loose and back the motor up to advance!

Jim

And if you don't have the pump pin just put the flat in the window, it will stay there.

This.

You pin the pump at factory timing, pop the gear loose, and back the engine up 10* before top dead center.

He's talking about the pump jumping back when he pops the gear off.

You can make a tool from a pump nut with a smaller nut and a jam bolt that is the cats ass for barring the pump. .........

I second this as a pump turning apparatus, works extremely well if you are careful with the wrenches.

Back