Need more tire again! What do you guys think?

Blacksdieselhp

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Ran the new truck today. It went 7.16, 7.17 all day at 98-99mhp. 60fts were only 1.70-1.75. Did one 1.67, but didnt make a full pass on that run. The tires were spinning bad all the way out to the 60ft. Im running Nitto NT420s on 20" wheels. I know the low profile is hurting it. I was thinking of going to the M&H Drag Radials, but are they really gonna perform any better than these since they are radials also? Do they have any sidewall wrinkle being a radial? These were fuel only passes as I knew it was only gonna get worse if I tried the NX. So does anyone make a true drag radial for a 17 inch or bigger wheel? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ive ran the M&H radials on my drag car for years. They are great! The Mickey Thompsons are good as well

Sorry, I meant, does anyone make a true drag tire(non radial) for 17s? I would like to try a set of the drag radials, but I really dont wanna buy another set of wheels and tires if they arent gonna work.

I run the 315/35/24 420's as street tires, and the 390/40/17 M&H Drag Radials on the strip and sometimes street. The difference is big! I can light the 420's up in 4th gear and with the M&H it will hook nicely in 1st gear, on the street.

Ran the new truck today. It went 7.16, 7.17 all day at 98-99mhp. 60fts were only 1.70-1.75. Did one 1.67, but didnt make a full pass on that run. The tires were spinning bad all the way out to the 60ft. Im running Nitto NT420s on 20" wheels. I know the low profile is hurting it. I was thinking of going to the M&H Drag Radials, but are they really gonna perform any better than these since they are radials also? Do they have any sidewall wrinkle being a radial? These were fuel only passes as I knew it was only gonna get worse if I tried the NX. So does anyone make a true drag radial for a 17 inch or bigger wheel? Thanks in advance for the help.
this for a 2wd or 4 wheel drive truck?

Truck is 4wd. Guess I will give the M&H tires a try. What width rims are you guys using with them? I know it says 12" wide wheel. Just wandering if anyones tried a 10" rim.

Truck is 4wd. Guess I will give the M&H tires a try. What width rims are you guys using with them? I know it says 12" wide wheel. Just wandering if anyones tried a 10" rim.

wondering the same thing, is a ten inch rim good?

i am running a hoosier true slick on my truck. 28inches tall about 10 inches wide.i am only a 2wd but they hook up great....

Ashley, are you running it in 4x4? I am running falken stz 04 305 50 r20 and only last season was I starting to have a serious traction issue with them, that is in 4 hi, launching at 15 ish boost and 23 lbs pressure in the tires. I have ran a personal best of 10.84 on those tires with a 1.5x 60'

If you are running in 4x, how do you have your rear suspension setup? Needs to be uber soft, gotta get that puppy to drop down on launch

10" rim works just fine. That is what mine are.

What is your rear suspension set up like? What traction bars?

A M&H Drag Radial should offer some improvement over those street tires, hard to say how much, but I'd bet you'd suprised. We are setup with M&H, let us know what you need, see what we can do for you...

Yea, Im running in 4hi. i dropped tire pressure to 28psi and it helped a little. But its still killing them off the line. i was leaving at about 18psi. I dropped it down to 12 and 15 a couple times, but it still spun pretty bad. This big single turbo comes on a lot harder than the 66 or the twins did, so thats probably why these tires did fine before. I could go ahead and spray it and pick it up a lot after the launch. But I would really like to get it in the 6s/10s on fuel first.

The rear suspension is stock. I have been thinking about taking some leafs out and running the rancho 9000 shocks. But then again, a ladder bar setup wouldnt be too hard to build in one of these trucks. I just cant make my mind up on how far I wanna go with it. Its a daily driver now and would like to keep it that way. Id love to have a dedicated drag truck, but we've always kinda had the "if you cant drive it and use it, you dont need it" mentality. Maybe its time for that to change. lol

another vote for the M&H radials good tires we ran them mid 1.5 60's, i agree with wide open youll be suprised

Yea, Im running in 4hi. i dropped tire pressure to 28psi and it helped a little. But its still killing them off the line. i was leaving at about 18psi. I dropped it down to 12 and 15 a couple times, but it still spun pretty bad. This big single turbo comes on a lot harder than the 66 or the twins did, so thats probably why these tires did fine before. I could go ahead and spray it and pick it up a lot after the launch. But I would really like to get it in the 6s/10s on fuel first.

The rear suspension is stock. I have been thinking about taking some leafs out and running the rancho 9000 shocks. But then again, a ladder bar setup wouldnt be too hard to build in one of these trucks. I just cant make my mind up on how far I wanna go with it. Its a daily driver now and would like to keep it that way. Id love to have a dedicated drag truck, but we've always kinda had the "if you cant drive it and use it, you dont need it" mentality. Maybe its time for that to change. lol

i run a big sinle also and have to leave at over 20 psi, and was having trouble on street tires, i went with nitto 555R's and i still drive on the street with them dont wear to bad and hook pretty good, my 60's are usually between 1.53-1.57 with no burn out, the one time i did a burn out i snapped the output. most tracks i go to are backwoods 1/8 mile that dont prep that great

I cut a 1.55 60' on Mickey Thompson ET streets last weekend in mission. 305/45/18 is the size I run. The difference in the hook from my proxes was unreal.

I think Im gonna give the M&H drag radials a try. have you guys ran these on the street? how do they do? I dont really drive this thing that much, but I do drive it to work every day and do my running around in it.

I forgot to mention I am running Glacier ladder bars which has helped our other trucks. But not this one really. I'm gonna remove some leafs this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your input.

how much clearance do you have between your ladder bar brackets and your bump stops? i am running glaciers ladderbars and took out the overload leaf and one block on the back. i only had a couple inches of travel left, i had to cut my bump stops way down so they wouldnt hit when i raced.

I just removed one block, overload and one leaf. Doesnt have very much clearance on the bump stops. ill prbably have to cut them down. Definatley feels like its transferring the weight better now. We'll see friday night. if it still spins bad, guess I'll go for the M&H tires.

Back