Need opinions on my clutch problem

FIRST GEN. JAKE

Well I got a valair dual disk sinterd iron that I put in my 93 (nv4500 swap) and ever since I put it in it doesn't engage and disengage right. Thought it was my slave so I replaced it with valair heavy duty one and still have problems and I'm pretty sure it's something inside the ellhousig not working correct. Gunna pull the trans again. Any suggestions for what to look for that could be causing the problem?

Well could be maybe it was marked on one end can't remember which way it faced. Could be a possiblty though since I think it was slightly longer on one side than the other

The part number is stamped into the fork. It goes on the bottom.

That and it is usually marked pivot ball or slave. But there have been some late nights that have made mistakes. It happens

also check to make sure the fork is not bent, my brother burnt up a new clutch in 4 hooks, because it was bent back and would not totally disengage the clutch, really hard to get in gear also

Have you called valair to see what they say. They are great to deal with

IIRC you have to remove the washer under the pivot ball as well...like others have said give Dan or Gary a call at Valair and they'll help you out!

I removed the washer. I called em and talk to Gary I believe when I was first having the problem I thought might of been my slave and he told me somethings to check and to remove the slave and disengage the clutch manually with a steering wheel puller bolted to the bell and I done that and it was still hard to get it gear so it's something inside the bell going on

Do the Discs slide fine on the input? Might have a burr somewhere on it. I always polished them a bit and they slide like butter.

yeah ^^^ this is the biggest problem with clutches not shifting correctly, I use graphite and they slide like butter.

Polish them with what? Graphite? I'm not following but I can see wear a burr would cause a issue.

The splined portion of the input shaft, then put some graphite lube on it.

lol i know i need to put it on the splines just correcting my spelling mistake in the last post (where wear). dumb i phones. any ways where can i get graphite lube? is that similar to like antiseeze ? i think this might be my problem as the discs where pretty hard to get on and off the shaft

Polish them with what? Graphite? I'm not following but I can see wear a burr would cause a issue.

I used some 2000grit sand paper to just ever so slightly till the disc would slide off easy on the input. I got the graphite lube from a hobby store. Makes pine wood derby cars fast. Lol

Napa sells dry graphite, and if your disc 's were hard to get on and off your shaft, this is indeed a problem.

FYI
Once you push your clutch pedal in, and the pressure plate pulls back, everything in front of it must slide, as to let go of the disc's and floater. If it does not, it will not shift correctly. Just clean the shaft really good, go over it and the inside spines on the hubs with a flat file, deburring it, then use some dry graphite on the shaft, the better the disc slide the better it will shift.

thanks yall have been a big help. i believe this is my issue as well. glad ya chimed in Dan. yall have a happy 4th. il let ya know once i pull it out how it goes.

Back