need some advice on a 4th gear grinding noise

dennhop

I've been doing some research, and it seems this is a problem....maybe not a common problem, but it does seem that there are several drivers out there that have this. I've got a buddy of mine, running a macleod dual disc, street drag clutch, on a 96 3500. He had a grinding noise in 4th gear, between 1700-2000 rpm. He ended up getting the clutch rebuilt, as well as the transmission (NV4500). After this, he's still got a grinding noise in 4th. I thought initially that it may have been his tcase, but I would think if it was the tcase that it would be doing it in all the gears. The rest of the truck is built...I don't remember everything he's got done to it, but he's running 4gsk gov springs, 10 plate, afc tuned, extrude hone injectors, maxspool cam, studs, think he has fire ringed head...might be cometic, I don't remember which, and the piers twin turbo kit.
Anyone experience this 4th gear grind, and have any idea if there's a fix, or if its normal?

Might b the syncro is bad r the clutch wasn't releasing fully so it would grind, does he have upgraded hydros? They help alot with a dd clutch.

He does have the upgraded SB hydros, so that's not an issue, but how would it be synchros, if it was doing it before he fried his transmission, and after he had a full rebuild on it? That's why I didn't think it could have been the synchros, since they were all replaced.

Is it a vibration? Both my trucks had this with DD's and the 5 spd in 4th, and my 6 spd does in 5th, always 1700-1900 or so. Feels worse with more throttle. Fluid damper helps knock it down a lot. Seems to be something that comes with a dual disc clutch.

not really a vibration...more of a grind, and it goes away after about 2000 rpm...

i get the same vibe 1700-2000, never grinded gears because if it though

Most times your grinding in direct drive gears end up being input bearings, or mainshaft inner or outer bearings. Iknow my nv56 with a dd in it makes some noise in 5th which is direct drive. In direct drive you have to remember you have 2 clutch discs and a floater plate basically hanging.

Most times your grinding in direct drive gears end up being input bearings, or mainshaft inner or outer bearings. Iknow my nv56 with a dd in it makes some noise in 5th which is direct drive. In direct drive you have to remember you have 2 clutch discs and a floater plate basically hanging.

What??

Back