Need some help - 01 Cummins

Big Angry

GRRRRRRR! GRRRRRR!
Hey guys,
A guy from my old hometown recently lost his battle with cancer, and left behind a 01 Cummins Dually that he used in his hot rod towing business. Anywho, his brother is getting the truck ready to be sold and is having some trouble with 3 codes that won't go away. It's a MAP code, IAT (I think) code, and an aux. high voltage code. Truck is at my buddy's garage as he was tasked with trying to get it fixed before it sold, problem is, he doesn't work on many diesels and isn't sure what's wrong. Someone told him that the ECM is fried, and needs replaced. Before he shells out the loot, we need to be sure. I did a little searching on DTR, but couldn't find too much as most of the conversation revolved around ECM's never going bad, it has to be another source. So, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm not sure of the mods (he had about 14k in it) but it was hopped up with turbo, injectors, tranny, etc.
Thanks!

All right, I'll be back there tomorrow afternoon, I'll get the #'s and post them.
Thanks

he texted me these 3 as the codes:

p0238 p0253 pl475

Anyone got any ideas?

Ted. I can't do you much good with the Dodge codes. I was able to run down the PO235 and cross it to a Cummins code for VP44 low voltage supply. I would check all of the ground connections including battery. You could also check the two solenoids beside the battery for the air intake heater.
What is the truck doing?

here ya go

P0238
MAP Sensor Voltage Too High

P0253
Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve Open Circuit

P1475
Aux. 5 Volt Output Too High

My brother had PO253 for over a year, then the vp44 PO216 showed up. I called II to order a VP44 & Brady told me that the PO253 code means that the IAT sensor inside of the injection pump is weak. I told him how the code would only show up once in a long while & he said that it is weak when that code shows its head. In your case, I would say that it sounds more like either a bad ground or faulty ecm.

Ted. I can't do you much good with the Dodge codes. I was able to run down the PO235 and cross it to a Cummins code for VP44 low voltage supply. I would check all of the ground connections including battery. You could also check the two solenoids beside the battery for the air intake heater.
What is the truck doing?

Thanks Jeff. Not totally sure, I haven't been around when they've been driving it/working on it. I think Dan told me that it's not running like it's capable of, it was pretty mean when it was running right.
I tell him to check the connections/grounds and see what he finds.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Also, is there a common problem with these year trucks that we should look at first for the electrical gremlins?

Back