Need some help w/ '03

Big Angry

GRRRRRRR! GRRRRRR!
Hey everybody,
a buddy of mine (Dan) has a small service station and recently had an 03 Cummins that he towed in that was running, and after about 20 minutes of driving, it died and wouldn't restart. Had 2 codes, an overboost and cam positioning sensor. Replaced the sensor, still no go. He doesn't get many diesel trucks in his shop, other than for tires and the routine oil/fuel filter change. So, this is truck is bone stock, with 116k on it. Owner claims that the fuel filter had never been changed?!?!? Dan said when he took it out, it was disgusting inside. So, anywho, Dan now has determined that the CP3 is not putting any fuel out of it. He has power to the CP3, and fuel to it, but nothing out of it. Does the CP3 need replaced? And where to get a good deal on one? Local Dodge place quoted $2200 for a reman. pump. Seemed rediculous to me, that was just for the CP3.
Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted

I would check lift pump flow to the cp3. Make sure it is getting fuel to the CP3. If the stock lift pump is still on it, it is located on the back of the fuel filter canister. Jeremy.

Once you have good fuel flow from the lift pump to the cp3, it would be nice to see cranking rail pressure. I would start by retorquing the connector tubes and checking rail pressure (if he has the ability). Jeremy

Thanks. He told me he had flow to the CP3. I don't know if he was able to scan/monitor the rail pressure.

Keep 'em coming, please. I've got to call him back soon.

The FCA might be messed up if there was a bunch of junk in it. The FCA controls the output from the high pressure part of the pump. It could be stuck in commanding no fuel pressure. Also, if the injectors went bad and are stuck open, it would not want to build pressure either. Just cause the lift pump is flowing fuel, it might not be making pressure. You need at least 5 psi into the pump.

That is a rediculous price for a reman cp3. You can get a modded one for a lot less than that.

If it is a bad CP3, it shouldn't cost more than $650 for a reman and $1200.00 for a modded pump. Jeremy.

Ok, so if the CP3 is bad...where does one find a reman CP3 pump? I tried fleabay but no luck. Any tips would be appreciated.

Back