Need wiring and diagnostic help. 24v in a Ford.

SPEEDSHIFT

I built a new 24v for a guys 05 Ford that had already been converted. Now the motor is back in and won't start. I need a wiring diagram for the conversion, so I can check all connections. I have bled all the fuel lines, and when cranking fuel comes out of the lines, so I thought it was trying to start, but a half can of esther says otherwise. Any ideas?

Search vp stand alone. Or find someone with the tool before you go hunting down a possibly nonexistent issue.
It will run on either regardless of any external wiring issue...if it will turn over it will fire on it.

Last edited:
What tool? Scantool?

Yes, I know it will run on only ether, the point of me including that is, I know these are a bear to get started with air in the lines, but after this much cranking on ether it should be all out of air. So it makes me wonder about the electrical side, therefore I need a schematic to use so I can make sure everything has power, and is communicating as a scanner is going to be hard to come by.

I took it as it wouldn't start on starting fluid. My bad.
There is a stand alone tool that cummins has for the vp-44. You can run the truck independently of the ecm. You can also just pin the pump out and do the same thing. I'll get you the vp harness pin out and ecm pin out and you'll atleast be able to verify the pump has power and ecm has required voltage.

Heres the VP Connector view. I'll have to upload the ecm connector view on another computer tomorrow. I dont have the ability to resize it here.
If I was trying to determine the issue I would verify
ECM Pin 30 to VP Pin 6 was low or no resistance
ecm pin 33 to vp pin 5 was low or no resistance
ecm pin 34 to vp pin 4 was low or no resistance
ecm pin 18 to vp pin 8 was low or no resistance

And VP Pin 7 was B+ ... If your running a stand alone ECM I have no idea how to help you!

Attachments

• vp-conview.gif
    vp-conview.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That would be great. I sure would appreciate it. It's a 2000 year model engine, so everything it needs is off the cam sensor.

It will start with hot and ground only on the pump.
You don't even need a cam signal from ecm/pcm

Last edited:
No, pin 7. No voltage on datalink...that's a no no. In the original configuration the vp had a relay in the pdc that was commanded on by the ecm. This should be how its set up now.

posting for mysterync:

89107386.gif

92772129.gif

Ok, I just jumped from #7 to hot and it fired right up... Which is great, but wtf? Lol

I guess I will check the power wires to the ECM and try to find a relay in line somewhere? Maybe the ECM took a crap?

I really appreciate the help!

FYI: It sucks trying to disypher someone else's rat nest. :D

Glad it worked. It should run to an external relay and be triggered by a wire from the ecm. So with that in mind I would look for an external relay with a missing ground or a hot wire that got missed on reinstall.

Back