NEEDED -- Headstud install instructions

Snake

40 lug nuts
No, I'm not attempting this on my own, but the person installing my studs wanted some extra guidance to make sure he does it right the first time.

Putting ARP studs in a 05 Powerstroke and would really appreciate a how-to: start to finish broken down at a kindergarden level. I don't need any disassembly instructions -- just what to do with the studs vs. the factory bolts (he's done the bolts hundreds of times).

And my box didn't have the ARP thread sealer in it -- is there something else that can be used?

Thanks for the assistance!

--Snake

I'm certain that if you call ARP and tell them you were shipped a box missing the thread sealer stuff they will send you some. I know at the shop that that's the only stuff we use on the ARP studs.

I am putting hg's on for the 2nd time and had ARP's put on the 1st time. I called ARP tech line and they faxed me instructions. I also had to order the moly lube for about 8 bucks plus shipping. Now I hope they can get it right this time.

DJ and Vivian took good care of me as always, and LubeOwner had a few things to add:

1. Clean holes in block and make sure they're free of debris and oil
2. Screw studs into block -- snug, not torqued down
3. Install head gaskets
4. Install heads
5. Apply a liberal amount of the ARP moly lube on the threads of the bolts and nuts as well as both sides of the washer (where it touches the head and where it touches the nut). Very important step to ensure you get a good reading when you torque down the nuts.
6. Following the factory torque pattern (center ---> out), torque to 135 ft lbs.
7. Following factory torque pattern, torque to 180 ft lbs
8. Repeat torque procedure to 200 ft lbs, then 220, then 230, then 245/250.

I may have missed something in this -- I'm writing it from memory and not what I wrote down. And this is what I was looking for.....how did the studs differ from the bolts.

Again -- DJ, Vivian, and Jeremy -- thank you!

DJ -- ya'll have had my business and will continue to have my business. The only time I'm not buying through you is if you can't get it! Can't wait for October.........

--Snake

Back