New AirDog Pressure Problem

ARbowhunter7

Opulence...I Has It.
I've got a new AD150 on my 12v that I can't get to hold the right pressure. It should hold 35-40 psi, but stays around 10 psi, and I can draw it down to 2 psi at WOT. I changed the spring out with no result. I have a new OFV on the pump, and verified that's working by clamping the return line with no change in pressure. I then clamped off the return on the AD and the pressure shot up to where it should be. So I guess there is a problem with the AD return valve. What causes this?

My setup (in case it matters) is an ADP sump to the AD150, then 1/2" line straight into a 1/2" dual-feed line on the P-Pump.

After a quick callback from Kyle, he thinks it may be an issue with the spring. To test the spring, he wants me to deadhead the pump after the gauge sender by pinching off the lines and seeing what the pressure goes to. Problem in, my sender is in the dual feed for the P-Pump, so the lines after the sender are hard lines (can't pinch them).

Kyle basically wants to know the max PSI of the pump, but wouldn't turning the key on without starting the truck achieve the same result? Pump gets power, so it pressurizes the line, but the fuel has nowhere to go, as the truck isn't running, and my OFV holds 35 psi. Is this accurate?

I'm trying my best to follow Kyle's instructions without blocking the lines.

Just pinch your return lines off that will work for the test you need to do then it has nowhere to go

I tried that, but Kyle insisted that was different than closing off the feed line right after the sender. I've been wrong before, but I just don't see how that's any different. If the fuel has nowhere to go, then it builds maximum pressure. Seems pretty simple.

What am I missing?

I tried that, but Kyle insisted that was different than closing off the feed line right after the sender. I've been wrong before, but I just don't see how that's any different. If the fuel has nowhere to go, then it builds maximum pressure. Seems pretty simple.

What am I missing?

Just splice the two feeds together. I see where you are coming from though, there really shouldn't be any leak down with the CP3 not running.
I'll assume that the reading would be more accurate to the pound with the lines plugged though.

Pinch it off before it t's and grab a pressure reading on the AirDog base. There is a port to do that directly above the fuel filter.

Just said phuck it and removed the dual feed from the pump and capped it off. The pump makes 12 psi, not a hair more. That's it.

Now that we have taken care of that, here is the situation. The truck won't start at this point, as it isn't getting enough fuel. The fuel pressure is down to about 3 psi and the motor just won't fire. It's my only way to work, so the situation is getting pretty chitty.

Good news is, I clamped off the AirDog return line with a pair of vise grips and the pressure shot right up to 35 psi and the truck started right up. Runs like a champ. I honestly don't see how it could be anything other than the AD regulator, but over the phone Kyle acted like that was outside the realm of possibility.

It is obviously wired correctly and the filters are fine, as it builds (and holds) 35 psi easily when the return is clamped.

Any other thoughts?

EDIT: And before anybody chimes in and suggests that I call AD, keep in mind that this message was typed after numerous calls while I was stuck at a jobsite because this brand new pump can't make enough pressure to start my truck. Not really happy right now, or proud of the image my company is presenting by forcing the General Contractor to keep a job open late because my truck can't get itself out of the parking lot. Not b*****g about my situation but rest assured, the company has been called.

Just said phuck it and removed the dual feed from the pump and capped it off. The pump makes 12 psi, not a hair more. That's it.

Now that we have taken care of that, here is the situation. The truck won't start at this point, as it isn't getting enough fuel. The fuel pressure is down to about 3 psi and the motor just won't fire. It's my only way to work, so the situation is getting pretty chitty.

Good news is, I clamped off the AirDog return line with a pair of vise grips and the pressure shot right up to 35 psi and the truck started right up. Runs like a champ. I honestly don't see how it could be anything other than the AD regulator, but over the phone Kyle acted like that was outside the realm of possibility.

It is obviously wired correctly and the filters are fine, as it builds (and holds) 35 psi easily when the return is clamped.

Any other thoughts?

EDIT: And before anybody chimes in and suggests that I call AD, keep in mind that this message was typed after numerous calls while I was stuck at a jobsite because this brand new pump can't make enough pressure to start my truck. Not really happy right now, or proud of the image my company is presenting by forcing the General Contractor to keep a job open late because my truck can't get itself out of the parking lot. Not b*****g about my situation but rest assured, the company has been called.

Call him back and tell him I said to send you an A4SPBD024-W at no charge. Thats an entirely new pump assembly. Base, filters, motor and all. Sorry for the hold up.

Call him back and tell him I said to send you an A4SPBD024-W at no charge. Thats an entirely new pump assembly. Base, filters, motor and all. Sorry for the hold up.

Well, I sure appreciate that. Nice to see a company do the right thing once in a while. I'll post the results when the new pump gets here.

I'll also be in touch with Kyle, as I'm curious what he'll find when you guys get the my pump back. Thanks again.

Update on the situation. AirDog more than rectified the situation. They rushed me a whole new pump (a more expensive pump than I purchased originally, BTW), It bolted right in, and works like a champ. Holds 40 psi @ WOT no problem. I couldn't be happier with the guys at AD (and that one gal who answers the phone).

Also, I heard that it was not easy to get a tech on the phone over there, but that was not the case it all. After I emailed my contact info, Kyle called me in less than an hour, and I got him every time I called.

Thanks again to the AirDog crew.

Back