New Diesel Drag Racing Series In The Planning Stage

My name's in the thread....So I'm throwin' in my pennies.

As a first, the majority in a thread agree with Greg. Wow! I tend to agree also than any outlet in which to race diesel vehicles is positive. It's not to sy that vendors putting money into this "new" series would duck completely out of existing organizations, or that they are even current supporters of exsting organizations. If this is a way to get a vendor pouring some money into diesel motorsports. Saaaaweet!

As for exposure between gasser and diesel-only events. I understand where Greg/Banks/The Big Corporate guys are coming from and it makes sense. (As much as I wish it didn't....It does. Sure, there's 5000 of "us" at a diesel-only event that may dump thousands and thousands of dollars into our trucks. However, if you suddenly can race EVERY weekend at events with 5,10, 20,000 people. (In some corporate cases....Races with 100,000 people) in the stands and you pull a percentage of Joe Everyday out of the crowd who rolled in in a diesel pick-up who see Elmo or McRat (or Comp) tear down the track...And suddenly to that percentage it's more than a novelty. It's a moment of inspiration and "Hey! I can do that with my truck".

Thus, Joe goes and buys perhaps only an intake and a programmer...But if 20,000 Joes do it compared to 1,000 crazy folks like us, these vendors are making the same money (or more) and getting a great deal more exposure. It's good for the vendor, it's good for the sport, it's good for the racers.

However, as we've all established: Ya best show up to the diesel-only shin digs, too. Heck, I'm a traditionalist here. But consider: main stream exposure is what's going to get people to our diesel-only events down the road. They've got to see it somewhere they actually bother to show-up first.

This sounds nifty. Keep thinkin', Greg!

Thanks you Natalie, you’re the reason I have made this push in to putting together this deal.
I have been bombarded with support and thank you all for the pm’s and emails and phone calls, my number sure gets around. It seems like the train is screaming down the track. I have a list of vendors that are very interested in this venture and the list is getting bigger. The rules are really going to let everyone at any level compete.

Heck, I might let Project X diesel race, want to drive Nat

Anything that helps get the word out is a good thing, all politics aside.

Everytime we are at the track, I spend at least an hour talking with folk about diesels. Sometimes it hurts our testing, but in the big picture, it helps the sport. Saturday we had EVERYONE at the track up against the fence to see if Kat could push into the 10's and the announcer was hyping it.

Missed it by .005. Needs more tuning. :(

COMP461 said:
Thanks you Natalie, you’re the reason I have made this push in to putting together this deal.
I have been bombarded with support and thank you all for the pm’s and emails and phone calls, my number sure gets around. It seems like the train is screaming down the track. I have a list of vendors that are very interested in this venture and the list is getting bigger. The rules are really going to let everyone at any level compete.

Heck, I might let Project X diesel race, want to drive Nat

Hey...Don't blame this on me! :redx: lol

I get the keys to X and I guarantee you it'll turn into the 2 part Diesel Power feature on "How to Fix Your Race Truck After You Let the Blonde Drive It...We should have left her hooked to the sled"

Excited to see where this all goes!

m_b said:
my point i guess is,look at what you've done for awareness toward the Powerstroke.do you think it would have been as productive had you not come out and particapated at events?

Danny i support all efforts to promote diesel motorsports.

David Dunbar

Well that's kinda what I'm getting at. I'd still be making all the diesel events I can as I'm sure most would, but why not try and get a little somethin' for my local weekend racing too while getting the word out about diesels?

Awesome! I would love to race in a series like this! I may be slow but I can be consistent! Can't wait to hear more . . . :drool1:

You couldn’t break it, its blond proof. We have had every salesman at the dealership test race it, until I put it on the rack and hid the tires.
I don’t really know what Barry at NADP did to the transmission, but it hasn’t Broken yet .

talked 300 plus mins yesterday on my cell , this is really taking off

COMP461 said:
talked 300 plus mins yesterday on my cell , this is really taking off

Okay, so you talked to two different folks :poke: :poke: (Sorry Greg, couldn't resist LOL )

I like the idea Greg, the more exposure and sponsor dollars that can be brought to the sport is for the good. I will say this though, the double points for racing at any all diesel event?? That should be carved in stone, the core crowd has built this sport to what it is now, help keep them at the forefront please.

Here is a preliminary set of rules in normal talk, and not the legal speak it will need to be written in

You can go to any NHRA or IHRA track in the country
Inter a normal bracket series, IE No E, Pro, and Super Pro

You can earn points at the Best 10 out of your first 15 races entered
You must turn in you entry to each race before the race begins to the track tower official

You get 10 points for each pass in competition
Buy backs included
You get an extra 10 points for being in the final round RU
You get an extra 15 points for winning the race
Example you enter a race and run 5 rounds of competition you will get 50 points for the five runs, 10 points for the final round and 15 additional points for winning for a total of 75 points total

You get double points for and diesel specific event IE NHRDA, DDRA, DHRA or national outlaw races example TS performance race, and Truck Fest these out law events will need to be approved , at the start of the season and I would think a simple vote of the supporting vendors
I am considering a double points multiplier for any NHRA or IHRA divisional events and possible a additional bonus for a NHRA or IHRA national event
The reasoning for this is the greater exposure possibility for the contingency sponsors

You earn a bonus for travel from you zip code to the track zip code per map quest
Still finalizing any ideas

.25 X points for 250 to 500 miles
.50 X points for 500 to 750 miles
.75 X points for 750 to 1000 miles
1.0 X points for 1000 or more

This bonus would be before the sanction diesel event multiplier

This was a rough set of rules
If any one has a idea or problem, have at it,

Pay out Example

Event pay out $25 RU 50 win each confirmed contingency decal

10 places for a national points system
$ 1000 for confirmed contingency decal for champion
$ 500 for runner up for confirmed contingency decal

Last edited:
Question.

You obviously cant be everywhere, will this be based on the honor system?

I believe the track officials have to send the paperwork in.

Greg, I think this is a great idea!

There are already of couple of examples in Division 6, where this is put in place with other groups in mind. Once example is the "Land of the Leaders" series. Each major track in Division 6 has 4 points races that are designated as Land of the Leaders point races. Any racer can attend as many of these races as possible, with points being handed out for a quarter final finish or better. It gives sponsor great exposure because in order to win you will probably have to race at more then one track.

As far as coordinating this I think the NHRA division directors would be willing to help. They could be the ones that collect the points, and do the totals. I know the division 6 and division 7 directors have been very helpful in the past.

I do not see this as being a determent to the NHRDA, or the DHRA. The more exposure to diesel motorsports the better. Spectators that see me race at NHRA events are very excited about seeing a whole race of nothing but diesels.

This year I will be racing in 8 different diesel only events. Also in this year I will be racing in over 24 NHRA points races, between division 6 and division 7. This is besides the friday night Street DOT races, and other just for fun races. Last year I made more than 600 1/4 passes on my pickup. Do you think my sponsors are getting their moneys worth in exposure? Which exposure do you think does them the most good (return on investment)? The 8 diesel only events or all the other passes I make?

Bring on the contingency stickers. It's a large pickup... I have plenty of room! :woohoo:

Oh, yeah... After this last weekend, I believe I am leading the points in the "Land of the Leaders" points series, in division 6. Diesels rule! :rockwoot:

This is one of the best ideas I have seen lately to promote Diesel Motorsports!

Paul

ok question.....

what if you take two guys that race every race out of 15 and win every one

who is the champion?

The one that won the most rounds is usually the winner in that case.

Paul

Or a shodown at a final event/award ceremony or something? Of course then you're bringing logistics back into it.

Back