New engine and some problems

Kroner96

Over the winter I rebuilt the engine in my dodge and now it just falls on its face when hooked to the sled. For the build I used 60cc pistons with .25 vavle reliefs, an h2 cam, and a peirs stage 2 head. For fuel its a 215 pump, no plate, lazer cuts, 4k gsk, 2095 plug, .093 lines, and 5x.018 injectors. Turbo is area diesel built hx55, compressor is 66x100 and exhaust side is 75x100, exhaust housing is a 231. Timing is roughly 30*. On the road it road it runs great and has more power than ever.

Old motor, same pump and injectors except for the 2095 plug, s366, factory lines, 20* timing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ilTTTHHHs

Here is the new motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWiWQ9S2oCs

I rode the clutch but when I let out it just quit. It did the same thing at our previous pull but I thought i let out too soon and now I see it as a problem.
After this run they backed me up to the sled but it had a tick when reving so I called it a night.
Any ideas?

What is roughly 30* timing? Is your pump fueling as you start putting a load on the truck? My timing slipped one time and did exactly that. But if it runs fine on the street i suppose that wouldnt add up? Seem odd because at 33* timing i wouldnt say neither of my trucks run "fine" on the street.

I agree a truck that is sitting at 30 degrees timing shouldnt drive to easy on the street.

I say roughly because I havent had a timing light on it yet to check it. It starts right up and doesnt need ether. Forgot to mention but I have a keyed pump gear so I know it hasnt slipped.
I set the valves at 16 on the intake and 22 on the exhaust. I checked them tonight and they were tighter so I need to readjust them. Would tight valves cause a ticking noise? I was also having fuel bubble out between the head and exhaust manifold which i would like to think was from the valves too.

To tight of vavles can hurt you, rest them. Hope you guys can make it down to our Pull OCt. 9th its listed on here. Where shopping for axles after the other nite.

How much road running do you do with it set at 30*. Anything over 24* your subject to burn it up in a short period of time. Does it have a 3 piece manifold on it? The second vid the truck looks like it has alot more fuel then the first. Looks like it maybe putting the fire out but also maybe the charger not spooling. I would swap the 366 back on it and see if it runs. Also a 366 will light alot sooner then a larger charger will. What rpm were you trying to leave at 4k springs may not be enough to get the hx55 to light and stay lit depending on what they did to it when they built it.

Last edited:
The only time on the road was a short 1/4 mile round trip run. It has a factory manifold on it yet. Could the mack plug make that big of a difference in fuel? I was thinking with the new head and cam it wouldnt give that much more unburned fuel. The very first hook the truck went 250 ft, but the track was slick on top and I couldnt get good traction. I pulled 15 min later after they worked the track and it did fell on its face. Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Definately need a better manifold. 366 will run on a stock manifold but the 55 wiyth that exhaust housing is really pushing it, IMO. The mack plug will make a big difference but on a 215 pump off a manuel truck, you have to be careful with the mack plug because they will retard the timing if the rack goes to far at WOT. A pump shop would be able to explain that better to you

Let me make sure I am reading this correctly. 0.250" fly cuts and 12:1 compression for a drop in cam, 12mm P7100 with a 4K GSK?

Im thinking it was closer to 13.5:1 on the compression. Think its a bad set-up?

You have alot of parts that I don't think will work together to well. With the full cut DV's and no AFC you are going to have way more fuel than your turbo can handle. With that manifold you are restricting the flow. Plus, the unneeded flycuts for a drop-in cam and low compression are going to kill you also with all that fuel. You need stock compression with your setup to run better. Also, the 4kgsk need to be 5k's IMO to help you stay lit...

Seems like you threw a bunch of mods at your truck without much planning and you are now finding out they aren't playing well together. No way did you need 1/4" flycuts, thats huge! Especially when you don't need the clearance for your cam... unless you did it thinking you were going to a bigger cam. Untill then they will cause hotspots on your piston crown.

Just looked at my notes and the valve reliefs were .185 not .250. I figured I would build the motor once and upgrade everything else later. Guess i need to start looking for parts. Thanks for all the help guys.

Trade people on here or cf for............full cuts to 191's or.024's, 4gsk for 5gsk and hope you can get it tuned right.

I agree, ditch the full cuts and go with some 191's, get a 5kgsk and go back to an AFC with a 0 plate. With the right tuning having the AFC will make it run better than no AFC. Can't really help you with your compression though, but a few more points would help you alot. You are leaving alot of power on the table right now by not having the compression to burn the fuel. If you can get a cam to replace the H2 with that will utilize your flycuts, you can get some of it back, but until you have a 13mm pump, bigger injectors and bigger turbo you are going to suffer from the lower compression...

Either that or just spray it... :nos:

LOL

I agree, ditch the full cuts and go with some 191's, get a 5kgsk and go back to an AFC with a 0 plate. With the right tuning having the AFC will make it run better than no AFC. Can't really help you with your compression though, but a few more points would help you alot. You are leaving alot of power on the table right now by not having the compression to burn the fuel. If you can get a cam to replace the H2 with that will utilize your flycuts, you can get some of it back, but until you have a 13mm pump, bigger injectors and bigger turbo you are going to suffer from the lower compression...

Either that or just spray it... :nos:

LOL

Adam that sounds about like what my truck is doing.

Are you sure the bowl is 60cc's? Even with 0.185" fly cuts the compression would be ~ 12.5:1, which is still quite a bit low for the other parts you are using.

Just looked at my notes and the valve reliefs were .185 not .250. I figured I would build the motor once and upgrade everything else later. Guess i need to start looking for parts. Thanks for all the help guys.

Either way that's a LOT of relief for that cam...whoever told you to do that was an idiot!!

Good luck...personally, I'd pull some fuel and timing, and basically start over a little smaller and work up from there.

Chris

Back