New engine build Scania DC1601 for our semi truckpuller.

We have done the dyno testing on the Toyota Hilux 1kd-ftv D4D 3L commonrail

Dyno result for now are
208Hp @ 3000Rpm and 200Hp @ 4000Rpm
532Nm Torque @ 2260Rpm
360Nm Torque @ 1500Rpm and 4000Rpm

The 3L commonrail got a lot more potential in it but we like to test the car first on limited power until we know that cooling capacity and drive train are up to the job handling the rugged desert conditions during the oncoming rally.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WT23ByUJA0"]Walk around the Toyota Hilux 1kd-ftv D4D 3L commonrail Proto Rally Car - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9k2v_g55cQ&list=UU_jjKaFaf1oxSijxIhaMgIA&index=1"]Toyota Hilux 1kd-ftv D4D 3L commonrail running on Adaptronic DI ECU dyno testing - YouTube[/ame]

Brilliant thread...just spent the last two hours reading and rereading it. Tall Boy, why are you using ZF 'box and Daf rear axle....Do you find them stronger than the Scania units?

Brilliant thread...just spent the last two hours reading and rereading it. Tall Boy, why are you using ZF 'box and Daf rear axle....Do you find them stronger than the Scania units?

@ Riverstick I can not comment on the last generation Scania gearbox and other drive train parts but the ZF gearbox has proven to handle the abuse very well and we can get parts for it easy and they can accommodate the clutch we use as we can only use a standard bell house.

The Daf rear axle is one of the strongest and is used on off road trucks where one axle must be able to take the full torque load while all other wheel can have no traction.

I used Megalogviewer to analyse loads of data on the last projects, work very well.
GroteFoto-QPZUMWOH.jpg

Thanks for that Tall Boy,

How did your project on the two stroke Detroit work out.... Did the Common Rail system improve the power output?

Perhaps this sounds silly, but did you consider a turbo compound setup on each cylinder bank of the V8 to alleviate your turbo problems?

Thanks for that Tall Boy,

How did your project on the two stroke Detroit work out.... Did the Common Rail system improve the power output?

Perhaps this sounds silly, but did you consider a turbo compound setup on each cylinder bank of the V8 to alleviate your turbo problems?

I hope next week we will know what the two stroke V12 brings as all Semi Supersport trucks can do there testing in front of a pulling sled.
Team FTF that run the semi with the V12 in it still got a loads of work to do on the truck it self and I hope later on this week I can make some changes to the RPM governor as it still in dyno modes, same goes for the fuel rail pressure, we start of with only 1000Bar and we can go as hi as 1800Bar so again it’s all about getting data and make small changes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1icSLVle7HA"]New build V12 Two stroke commonrail first drive - YouTube[/ame]

Turbo compound is not an option same as water injection, it’s not aloud on any semi truck and I would not call it a problem on the Scania V8 as got the parts for the turbo upgrade and we are working on it.
Key is to find the truck balance on a clay track, we got the horsepower and we got loads of traction but we need more speed so we need to lose some of that traction by increasing tire pressure and hope we can lift the sled of the ground a bit more reducing friction on the pulling sled. This is something we did not master very well last year as we make some very spectacular runs with the wheels off the ground sinking the pulling sled into the ground.
If we master the truck balance set-up and after we can upgrade the turbochargers it only means we have more margin on the truck balance set-up as we can compensate more drag with more Hp, it still is truck pulling not a dyno contest.:blahblah1:

Today we had our yearly test event so all team had the opportunity to test the trucks.

We did not run the V8 Scania due to personal family problems of one of the team members.

We did have the madden run of Team FTF with V12 Detroit Diesel commonrail and they had the first full pull 2013.
I must say I’m very happy with the engine performance and it’s only running on 850 Bar fuel pressure and the system layout makes 1800 Bar possible so there is a lot more there but it will take some time to debug and cleanout the whole truck of problems and one of them is dirt in the fuel system.
The story behind dirt in the fuel system is simple, even the smallest contamination will block the pilot valve in these injectors and after some time it will clear all the contamination. Cleaning the system is not an option as we try this and it got a lot to do with the inner tube of the common fuelrail that’s is machined from billed steel.

Next step is to look @ the data from the runs and move from there but for now it looks like they will need bigger turbine houses as the boost pressure is getting a bit on hi site.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP9qDj_crlQ"]Team FTF V12 Detroit Diesel commonrail first full pull 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Collected some new stuff from the machine shop today.

BW speedsensor installation on the S482X3
Foto-Z36N4TW7.jpg

Adapter plate from T6 to T4 flange
Foto-CYXMI6MF.jpg

We just made calculation after our last compressor wheel came apart on the last run we made, over time they become brittle sort in the same way a cast wheel dos but that we do not have an idea what alloy the billed was made of as some stuff is made in china maybe.
Forgot to make a picture of it.

Our Holset billed 80mm wheel last for about 7 to 8Km on the track so it will only take 70 to 80 cycles of hi boost and temperature, not a really great rate @ only 58PSI or 4Bar boost so to get this up we looking into titanium compressor wheels as well but it will have a lead time of about 8 to 10 weeks but the good thing is we can manufacture them for every type of turbo as long as we got an example.

I have not heard good things about titanium. Have no experience running one, but I had it explained to me as titanium expands and contracts, then gets very brittle.

It is odd you guys are trashing billet wheels, what is happening to them? Are they just coming apart?

I have not heard good things about titanium. Have no experience running one, but I had it explained to me as titanium expands and contracts, then gets very brittle.

It is odd you guys are trashing billet wheels, what is happening to them? Are they just coming apart?

Titanium is very heat resistant and strong and I never seen compressor wheels fail even running some machines with blocked air filters running the compressor side so hot that it set the rubber connecting tube on fire. Downside is that titanium is heavier than alloy so slower spool-up but for us that not a problem.

Yes parts came of the top of the blade on the inducer side and one of them parked it self in the air recalculation part of the compressor housing cutting out the middle of all other blades and after it looked a bit like a bad copy of a bathmo wheel.
Why are they coming apart?? Maybe poor or wrong quality billed alloy.

I didn't know there was a good copy of the Batmowheel :hehe:

But I just wondered because many people are running billet wheels are their pulling tractors around here that push 100+psi and very rarely have them come apart.

I didn't know there was a good copy of the Batmowheel :hehe:

But I just wondered because many people are running billet wheels are their pulling tractors around here that push 100+psi and very rarely have them come apart.

Yep but we can not use water injection and that takes care of a big part of this problem I think.

Yep but we can not use water injection and that takes care of a big part of this problem I think.
farm classes cant use water injection and they run the same compressor up to 5bar of boost. I still think its the surge under full boost, it kills every turbocharger in seconds. Pullers usually overspeed the charger, that way they are further away from surge line.

farm classes cant use water injection and they run the same compressor up to 5bar of boost. I still think its the surge under full boost, it kills every turbocharger in seconds. Pullers usually overspeed the charger, that way they are further away from surge line.

@ Leiffi Yes point taken.

Tomorrow we going to run this engine the first time on a clay track and we made changes to the truck to create less traction and prevent the front wheels coming from the ground.
The keep the hook as hi as possible we need to run more tyre pressure as well so the sled dos not dig that hard into the ground but this also means we lose more traction so wheel speed needs to go up and hope to get max acceleration on the start of the pull having more end speed and use the weight of the sled (over 20tons) to help us along the track.

To bad for the crowd as pulls like this will be a thing of the past for most of the pulls.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVR1SIw_IqM&feature=player_embedded"]truckpulling almkerk 2011 mvj 2 run 2.MPG - YouTube[/ame]

Loads of happy faces in the team after last night pulling event. Second place on a clay track and less than 3 meter behind the number one running an 18L engine.

Also it’s the first time the engine did not stall in the low RPM but looked like we get a torque increase like you would expect as you have more valve opening time and more time to burn your fuel.
Also the balance of the truck worked out fine as we have moved more weight to the front of the truck. It can still do a small wheelie but short after the wheels are coming down.

We now run a hi 14AFR all the way and even added 10% more VE (VE as for volumetric efficiency that calculate to the amount fuel injected) and it looks like the next best step is to increase boost/airflow so turbochargers will be next to try this and will start looking in to flowing the still standard cylinder heads. We now have 305CFM and we hope to get over 400CFM and even more swirl.

@ Leiffi they did understand what you quoted before, thanks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiEuXqghOTY"]Herwijnen 2013 Manne van Janne 2 semi truck puller run 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SCR80K_TiI"]Herwijnen 2013 de Manne van Janne 2 run 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JBJEUXJzb0"]Herwijnen 2013 Manne van Janne 2 semi truck puller final second place of the day - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
We made some changes to the engine and the result is bigger than I would suspected.
In the past we used some of the fuel to control boost as we did not use a wastegate so more boost means less fuel taken from the end off injection.
What I discover is that my EGT goes down even when I ad more fuel and the AFR goes down indicating the combustion takes place in the cylinder and not the exhaust manifold.
Also engine temperature plays a bigger role than I would expect, this engine is build with a hi temperature specification.

herwijen%202013.jpg

herwijnen%202013%20graph%20egt.jpg

You mean about the surging or what? In the last video I heard a little bit surge at the end of the pull when the rpms dropped.

Yes indeed looks like we hitting the surge line but the engine recover from it. We got a bit more options left to prevent the engine from going down in RPM but you never know what is next on the list on breaking down so we only try this if it’s needed in the pull off.

I can use some help on a 92 series V12 Detroit 2 stroke. It’s bending the con rods and I got the funny feeling they are very soft not able to handle the torque very well.

Any info on these connecting rods and a solution or part manufacture that build upgraded ones will help.

Pull a couple degrees oftiming out of it around peak torque. It will kill torque a smidge but also reduce peak cylinder pressure.
Otherwise i dont know anything about the rods.

Back