New guy #2

davidbk

Hey everybody my name is David and im from Alabama. Im the proud new owner of a 95 reg cab 4x4 auto 12 valve. 270,000 miles on the motor and body and about 600 miles on a rebuilt trans. The truck is not in bad shape but it does have issues. Ive had the truck about a week, took me a few months to find the one i wanted plus these trucks are getting more and more sought after. Drove the truck home 300 miles the first nt i bought it. Ran fine but the trans jus didnt seem right. It shifts real firm but doesnt kickdown rt and sometimes the 2 3 shifts are delayed. Come to find out throttle cable was super stretched and frayed. Got a knew one just havent installed it yet. Now for the next issue. I think my intake heater is not working. Truck started fine for the first few days then got to where i would hold the throttle down. Now it will only run for a few seconds then shut off when its cold. After the truck finally warms up it runs ok. Im thinking its heater related. I also do not have a wait to start light. It does not light up and never has since ive bought the truck???? Anyways i was just wondering if there is a beginners check list to kinda follow. I have been doin lots of reading on here just wanted ajump start. I am mechanically inclined. I do paint and body work for a living. Im 31 years old and have been around cars trucks motorcycles and anything with wheels all my life. Im not super good with the electrical side of cars and trucks but i have a feeling im gonna be, as these trucks have very very finicky elecrical systems. Any help would be appreciated, thank ya'll

Whats your idle at? The stalling when cold/needing throttle to start sounds like a low idle to me. Specs are 800 rpm when warm in gear with the A/C on, but it might be a bit high when in neutral. 900 in neutral would probably be a good compromise between the two.

Check the bulb for the WTS light. If you turn off the radio and fan, you can hear the click when the grids turn off, as long as its cold enough for them to come on.

The intake air temp sensor could be bad, if it goes bad, the truck's computer won't know it's cold enough to trigger the grid heaters so they won't turn on.

If you turn off the radio and fan, you can hear the click when the grids turn off, as long as its cold enough for them to come on.

You don't even need to do that, anyone with some common sense should be able to tell if they're functioning or not just by watching the dome light and volt meter.

And I can hear the relays shut off over my radio and fan too.

davidbk, I'd love to know what you think is going to be so "finicky" about the electrical system in one of these trucks. There is virtually nothing to really go wrong with them, provided they receive the normal care and haven't been f'd over by a previous owner.

As far as the starting "issues" go, how cold is it where you're at? It isn't uncommon to have to use a little pedal and maintain it a little to keep it running (when it is colder out) for a few seconds until it will run and idle on its own. Your idle may be set too low too and there are a lot of people who think it's abnormal to have to use some throttle (I believe even the manual states you might have to), even though it isn't IMHO.

Back