New guy go easy on me

unlimited1

Hello new guy here just kicking around the idea of building a diesel drag truck and have built a gas engine drag cars. I love to see fast diesel trucks just looking to see what a stock 5.9 cummins bottom end is able to hold crank rods and pistons I have a 1994 p pump 5.9 just wondering

What goals do you have in mind?

Plenty of trucks in the 11s on stock bottom ends.

750 to 800 hp flywheel I know thats alot I have seen 650 to the tires and not alot done We have milled the intake off and lookig for a camshaft combo and injectors thinking on using 2 s400

I've seen 1,100-1,200 at the wheels at a low RPM (under 4K)

edit: dyno hp.

Hello new guy here just kicking around the idea of building a diesel drag truck and have built a gas engine drag cars. I love to see fast diesel trucks just looking to see what a stock 5.9 cummins bottom end is able to hold crank rods and pistons I have a 1994 p pump 5.9 just wondering

ohh Matt, giving up on the blue oval already:bang

the funny car turns 5,000 rpm's and around 1000 horse. It has never broke a stock crank or rods. few hundred passes.

To get down the track in a diesel, you have to worry about other stuff than bottom end parts. Spooling, overspeeding turbos, EGTs, blowing head gaskets, and trans parts; those will be your main headaches.

Im thinking 2 s400 74mm 80ar 12mm injecton pump fire ring head 6x16 injectors We are building a custom sheetmetal intake just dont have a camshaft in mind dont want to fly cut the pistons I have heard bad things about stock pistons coming apart

Running the turbos in the front grill havent see it done We have done it with mustangs I would like to try it with a diesel

Parallel turbos will work, but you really miss the advantage of compounding from typical diesel twins setups. Because these engines don't flow very well they need a much higher pressure ratio to make the same power a well built gasser would. You could do it, but you would have to push those turbos really hard and it won't be a lot of fun to spool.
$.02
Good luck doing parallels :)

And who has pistons come apart in a 5.9 B series? Lots of people melt them, but they usually stay in one slug.

THANKS I have seen fly cuts to close to the top ring come a part

Last edited:
Wow, I'd like to see a head that flows at that much lift!

You won't need to get that wild for just 800hp.

Talk to stock600. He took a shortwheel base chevy and went pretty fast in it....

Back