New Injectors Smoking White 03 CR

weazel

5th gear killer
I’ve been fighting a truck that dropped a valve seat and after head replacement, is still smoking white smoke out the exhaust. Runs rough as hell too.
New injectors from Diesel Auto Power, I believe they’re 37% overs.
Injector tubes verified proper torque.
Truck has been tuned, issues are with stock tune and tow tune.
Swapped FCA and rail sensor, rail pressure on startup is 7k-8k, sometimes wanders up to 10k idling.

This is the second set of injectors from DAP. They claimed the first set failed due to contamination, which I call bs, but whatever!
Second set of injectors installed, idles rough, high rail pressure(in my opinion) and white smoke out of the exhaust. Smells like fuel.
No blow by, no antifreeze smell. No loss of oil, and doesn’t seem to be making oil.

I have not borrowed a scan tool to cut off each injector yet.
I’m at a loss at this point. Any suggestions to try?

Check compression, at the very least, do a crude cranking variance test and check for blowby.

I'm of the mind you got another set of "contaminated" injectors, though.

Mark.

That’s what I’m afraid of.. another “contaminated” set… and all the finger pointing that they’ll use again!

My money is on a melted piston crown.

Hmm, may have been the white smoke I was fighting before…
But the engine ran well before, just had white smoke out the exhaust. Then the owner drove the truck, he said it sounded like a backfire, then it went to running like crap. He parked it, blipped the throttle, and it smoothed back out. Took it for another ride and did the same thing but this time it stayed running like crap. So that’s when I pulled the injectors and sent them in.
Long story short, no warranty, claimed it was water contamination, charged the owner more money to have the nozzles replaced, sent back to me, I got them installed again, still not running right.

Well, hard lesson learned here guys.
Just so it’s put out there, a VP44 head will not work on a common rail engine LOL. Mainly due to injector connector tubes.
Picked up a common rail head and swapped them out.
When I got the VP head off, one of number 6 intake valves had bent the shroud, something aluminum got in there, bent that part of the valve, then welded itself to the top of the piston.
Anyway, got it all buttoned up, fired it up awhile ago and no white smoke whatsoever, idles smooth as glass now, and no weird noises!
Just wanted to update on what I found on this adventure, and to warn someone else that thinks like I do (a 24v head is a 24v head!) well they aren’t lol.

Back