New Jetta TDI owner here

a24vc

Direct Deposit
I just bought a 2012 jetta TDI 6 speed manual. Love the car so far, any known problems with these? What kind of mileage is everyone gettin with theirs?

My brother has one. His runs great he hasn't had any problems out of it. He has just over 19000 miles on his. I drove it last weekend and the mileage counter was reading 38-45 mpg at 80 mph. My dad drives this car more than my brother and says it usually gets in the upper 40mpg range. I tried to baby it and that was the results I got. I'd love to be able to afford one but I will keep my Mercedes 300td wagon.

We bought one about 4 months ago for the wife's ride. 2012 jetta tdi 6 speed so far have been averaging about 48mpg. About two months ago airbag light came on,one of the side canopy bags was malfunctioning they replaced it and everything has been good since. Love the car!
Also from what i have read, it's very important to keep up well on the maintenance in the past they have had issues with the cams

Last edited:
We bought one about 4 months ago for the wife's ride. 2012 jetta tdi 6 speed so far have been averaging about 48mpg. About two months ago airbag light came on,one of the side canopy bags was malfunctioning they replaced it and everything has been good since. Love the car!
Also from what i have read, it's very important to keep up well on the maintenance in the past they have had issues with the cams

Correct VW spec oil has been important since early 2000 model VW's.

This was only with the PD unit injector models, use a camshaft to inject fuel. The 09 and up are Common rail similar to the trucks. The first cr's had pump issues but that should be resolved by now.

Never get fuel at crappy stations, the condtion and cleanliness of the pump handles says alot about the stations tank/filter maintenance.

I run stanadyne in mine as well.

Read the owners manual and service intervals. Fuel filters 30k, timing belt 120k.

My 09 CR 6 spd has 114K so far. I think it has developed a boost leak the intercooler boot clamps are a werid design that seems loose.

I have a 2012 Jetta 6 speed and just hit 10K miles a few days ago. I have logged every tank with the exception of one on my phone app. So far my overall average is 46.3MPG. My drive to work is 65 miles each way and pretty much every day there is at least some stop and go traffic, my best is a 49.1.

A buddy of mine has an "06 5 speed and a '12 with the DSG. They both get drove hard and the 06 constantly gets 38-44mpg depending on how much stop and go driving, the '12 has averaged 40.2mpg currently with about 2500 miles on the car. Just keep up with the maintenance and the right oil. Also try to get MANN filters, germanfilters.com have some decent package deals. He also uses Rotella t6 full synthetic oil in the '06 and power service additive in every tank for both cars.

idparts.com is another great place for all your parts that you'd need.

I bought a 2013 for the fiance' back in october with the DSG with her driving it she's getting around 46-48 Mpg then when I get in it and drive it a couple days it drops down to 39-40.... I think my feet weigh more than hers do, I've been debating on deleting it and making it run a little better but I think I might just keep it stock and have at least one new vehicle under warranty since my trucks pretty much not covered anymore.

Back