new motor at 100k

smokeisfun

still learnin
I have a 2005 ram cummins with 73k miles, and i have been talking to some other people who have the same year or an 06 and they all know some one that has had to put a new motor in at 100k miles, whats up with that, has any one heard of this being a problem, i know that the injectors have been a problem. 2 of the people that needed a new motor had a stock pickup the other 2 had a chip on it. So just curious if there is a preventative plan i could do.

Thanks

Either they are freak deals or there's more to the story you don't know. These engines have proven reliable for well over 200k.

I'm looking at 210,408 on my odometer as I type. Never had so much as a hiccup outta my 05. Anyone who knows me will tell you it gets beat worse than most farm trucks. I'm betting there's more to it than you were told.

The only recurring issues we've seen have been valve seat/guide related. Probably coincidental, but nearly all have been 05 or 06 models.

Got 429,567 on my 03 today. Still running strong up to 130ish here abd there. Bone stick engine minus valve springs, fass ddrp, and an SSR. With a built Trans.

I usually only get about 2500-5000 miles outta the ones I own.....

thats kind of what i figured about the ones that were chipped, some dumb a$$ with a heavy right foot and no common sense would lay into it until a hole got scored. The only thing i can come to on the two stock ones was that probly an injector was bad and the dealer wanted to make some good money and sold a whole engine.

But thanks, i got some peace of mind now

It might be some freak happening but I feel that injector malfunction is probably the biggest cause of motor failure. Lets face it, the factory 7 micron fuel filter is mediocre at best, then you get people that think it only needs replaced every 20k miles instead of every oil change....

With a CR fuel system the injectors all get fuel from one source, the fuel rail which is fed by the high pressure pump at around 23,000 psi. All it takes is a little dirt in there getting hammered around by the pressure and force fed into each injector and all at once you got high fuel return rates, fuel delivery imbalance and you probably already guessed it, melted pistons and dropped valve seats from excessive heat.

Last edited:
you hear a lot of 05's with ring problems but who knows it could be from not letting it warm up and then putting it to the wood right away?

It might be some freak happening but I feel that injector malfunction is probably the biggest cause of motor failure. Lets face it, the factory 7 micron fuel filter is mediocre at best, then you get people that think it only needs replaced every 20k miles instead of every oil change....

With a CR fuel system the injectors all get fuel from one source, the fuel rail which is fed by the high pressure pump at around 23,000 psi. All it takes is a little dirt in there getting hammered around by the pressure and force fed into each injector and all at once you got high fuel return rates, fuel delivery imbalance and you probably already guessed it, melted pistons and dropped valve seats from excessive heat.

the fuel filter has been a major concern of mine, i have purolator in it now, and i looked all over for a micron spec and can not find one. What filter for these things have a smaller micron spec? I want to keep it stock, im not going to put a fass or air dog on either

We have an '06 cclb auto. it has a bullydog intake and the rest is just how the factory built it, even has the muffler and number 5 and 6 injectors went out turned into cutting tourches and melted 5 and 6 pistons at 146,578 so we will be rebuilding in a few weeks and going back with ALOT of goodies!! ive been waiting to let that cat out of the bag and start my own thread but we dont have enough details yet.

the fuel filter has been a major concern of mine, i have purolator in it now, and i looked all over for a micron spec and can not find one. What filter for these things have a smaller micron spec? I want to keep it stock, im not going to put a fass or air dog on either

The factory filter canister is limited to 5 micron. If you want finer filtration you must go aftermarket. I put 2 micron filter systems on almost every CR fuel system I repair. Filter systems are cheap, injection components are not.

A search will give you all the info you need.

We have an '06 cclb auto. it has a bullydog intake and the rest is just how the factory built it, even has the muffler and number 5 and 6 injectors went out turned into cutting tourches and melted 5 and 6 pistons at 146,578 so we will be rebuilding in a few weeks and going back with ALOT of goodies!! ive been waiting to let that cat out of the bag and start my own thread but we dont have enough details yet.

With a box tuner (any brand) power is sometimes achieved by jacking up rail pressure and crazy timing. When rail pressure is jacked up and injectors balance rate goes crazy cylinder temps are multiplied by jacked up timing, pistons melt super quick. Custom tuning can do alot more for engine life than what first meets the eye.

Last edited:

You need to use Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter for 5 Micron filtration in the stock can.

'03 with 322,000 all untouched except injectors at 282,000. It has a 64mm charger and added fuel.

06 think was a bad year heard of a lot of problems but who knows what people do. Ive got a 2000 and some kid was telling me he blew the motor at 150,000 miles. I have 216,000 on mine with no engine problems, My dad has 550,000 on his 12 V, Just a good motor but if you over boost it hold the rev at 3,500 rpm for 10 min its possible with a lot of abuse.

With a box tuner (any brand) power is sometimes achieved by jacking up rail pressure and crazy timing. When rail pressure is jacked up and injectors balance rate goes crazy cylinder temps are multiplied by jacked up timing, pistons melt super quick. Custom tuning can do alot more for engine life than what first meets the eye.[/QUOTE]

ITS STOCK! thats what agervates us about it. itd be diffrent if it was a 800hp twin turbo tow vehicel, it sees a 6000lb tractor and a 6500lb trailer 8 times a year and sea doos every other weekend. failers like that shouldnt happen, IMO a stock truck should be able to handle that for at least 300k miles... not to mention we change the oil every 4k with rotela 10w40

Back