New NHRA Rule - Oil Pan Diapers

dieseldragster

First to the sevens....
Get ready for the new rules if you are in the 9's.

Oil-retention Device

Beginning Jan. 1, 2007, all Comp competitors will be required to have an oil-retention device meeting either SFI Spec 7.1 or 7.2. For Jan. 1, 2008, the same rule will apply for Super Gas, Super Comp, and any E.T. vehicle running 9.99 or quicker or 135 mph or faster. NHRA is developing an implementation strategy for an oil-retention device meeting the SFI specification for the reminder of the NHRA Lucas categories.

I am thinking Pampers will be our brand of choice...

Do they list any manufacturers that are lined up to make diapers?

brandon.

lpreston said:
Is there not a tranny requirement now? We have had one since day 1.
Theres a difference between a diaper and a blanket.

CC12V said:
Theres a difference between a diaper and a blanket.

My bad! I should have said diaper... :bang Sorry.

Blankets aren't always required, depending on the trans, but what sfi shields and cases are available for our trans, I do not know.

Paul

dieseldragster said:
Same as always, Taylor, Stroud, Diest, and the other "tailors"
Has any of these manafacturers made up a diaper for the big Cummins oilpan? Link? Part #?:poke:

RacinDuallie said:
Has any of these manafacturers made up a diaper for the big Cummins oilpan? Link? Part #?:poke:

Well, I don't race or come anywhere's close to the 9.99 mark, but as much as this oilpan leaks, I need one of those diapers! I've re-torqued again and again.

4x4dually said:
Well, I don't race or come anywhere's close to the 9.99 mark, but as much as this oilpan leaks, I need one of those diapers! I've re-torqued again and again.
I'm sure a tube of Permatex is MUCH cheaper than a diaper.....:bang :hehe:

Try as I might, I have not been able to find anything on this rule, either in the 2007 NHRA rule book, or on the rule revisions web site. Anyone have a link or anything? We are going to make some test passes on our CE A/ND dragster this weekend...

Paul

Paul the date to have a ballistics blanket / diaper has been pushed back for us until March 1st. A/ND will defiantly have to have one then. Here is our site and on her you find the information you will need in comp, hope to see you at the track, I am planning on running a few racers this year in comp also.
http://www.insidecompracing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The rest of the racers will have to have one next year

That thing needs to run a 6.92 to tough with a set of 12 inch tires; they are quite a wild ride, floating around on the big end. I have been beside Carter and its fun to race against , because if he got down the track it was a fast pass , but that was about every third pass

Last edited:
COMP461 said:
Paul the date to have a ballistics blanket / diaper has been pushed back for us until March 1st. A/ND will defiantly have to have one then. Here is our site and on her you find the information you will need in comp, hope to see you at the track, I am planning on running a few racers this year in comp also.
http://www.insidecompracing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The rest of the racers will have to have one next year

That thing needs to run a 6.92 to tough with a set of 12 inch tires; they are quite a wild ride, floating around on the big end. I have been beside Carter and its fun to race against , because if he got down the track it was a fast pass , but that was about every third pass

He does get down the track enough to win alot though. He and J.D. Zink are both fun to race against. They do set their cars up totally different though.

6.92 is a tough number to run, but... When they only run them 1 out of three times it makes it easier...

I'll keep an eye out for the change. Thanks!

Paul

Dean's group is a great bunch at the track, he won the world twice in an A/ND , the first year he had help form Eatons bunch , but the second year was just good driving on his part. you looked in to B it might not be so tough as it seems , it will surly go down the track. The dodge W2 head looks like it can make some good power , I have a set Done for Eaton for a old A/ND before the rules went wild, and they flow 380 .

We were running a small block Chevy (406ci), but we have been doing development work on a small block hemi, for the last couple of years. It will easily run .5 seconds under the index for B, and we are legal for B. So far we have only been able to run about .3 under the index for A. Which won't cut it. We are trying a new cam at the track this weekend, which looks promising. We've had problems coming up with a cam profile I like, that doesn't destroy parts. The engine is a 1956 354 hemi, that is bored and stroked to a 408. With all the trick goodies of course...

Paul

I remember hearing something about that from Hemi Doug a SC racer in div 4, I’m glad to see some more dragsters, I so sick of a SM, and the AA/SM deal was so lame. I see now why everyone wants one, I drove a SS/DM a few races here and there, and Ray Charles could drive one, boring,

I had a chassis on order for an I /D and then NHRA came out with a 7.30 index, the top of the heap motors would do good to run 6.90 and that would not get you past first round, if even qualified at some races, I have been asked repeatedly for rules for diesel, but its to early and we need more data to see where everything lands. But the time is ripe to catch this tide and ride it

I still have a set of old D5 33x 12 America made , their old and well worn, but are a must to get a D/ED or C/ED down the track if you need them

Yeah, a front engine dragster is anything but boring. What most people don't realize is that the steering wheel is just there for a place to mount the trans brake button. LOL My pickup is more exciting then an SM! A friend of mine drives a fuel altered, which has got to be about the wildest ride there is. I gave him a ride down the 1/4 in my pickup, and he could not believe how hard it launched. He was hooting and hollering all the way down the track.

Paul

Back