New pump time.... which one ?

Mountaineer

Comp D's Doe Killer
3rd Dead vp. So... vp, ve , or P. Just want your $.02
Not a daily driver , just tow and haul farm stuff with it a few dozen times a year .

I'd go with a ve, heard mention there are adaptors so you can stay with the stock inj lines.
I have no first hand experience on the swap, but some here do.

Ve. Put the 3200 spring in, put a couple turns on the screw and get the injectors popped for the right pressure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Done the vp to ve before.. it’s not for everyone it will
Cost you more time and effort than it’s worth ..

Why not stick a so vp with a good lift pump back in? Is the VP to ve swap that much more cost effective?

Why are you killing so many pumps? Are you running the truck that much to wear them out?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Guess I was thinking that was how it was worked, but thought it was driven more? Either way, it shouldn't be eating pumps. While the VP does have a reputation, they're plenty of them running without issue, with a lot of miles on them. My personal truck for example, had the pump replaced right before I bought it at 93k miles in 2007, a AD150 was one of the first things I did, and its currently at 202k miles.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking there's another issue that's causing the pumps to fail.

^ think the same thing. Op, Where are you getting the pumps from? Any lift pump or do you still have the Carter pump on the block or the in tank pump?

Why not stick a so vp with a good lift pump back in? Is the VP to ve swap that much more cost effective?

Cost effective.... well that depends on how many more vp’s will be put on the truck in the future

Why are you killing so many pumps? Are you running the truck that much to wear them out?

No , this last pump probably had under 8k miles but it was 8 years old.

^ think the same thing. Op, Where are you getting the pumps from? Any lift pump or do you still have the Carter pump on the block or the in tank pump?

Running a AirDog 100, 2 micron filter ,17 psi tank drawstrawed, and all 1/2 inch tank to pump . Good clean fuel with lubricity addictive.
I even left this last one untapped and kept the quad off of it.
My deal is of all the Certified vp builders that have a 855 test bench who’s pump stands above the rest? Half these people that offer vps for sale dont rebuild them themselves.
I’m satisfied with the SO Pumps power that these past pumps have made just think a mechanical one would probably be less problematic and have more longevity, but I do like the vps dynamic timing

Last edited:
I wonder if from sitting so much that the seals and o rings are going bad causing failures. 8 years isn't too bad but the mileage definitely sucks

I wonder if from sitting so much that the seals and o rings are going bad causing failures. 8 years isn't too bad but the mileage definitely sucks

Yeah, it’s possible.
I had one guy tell me it went bad because I wasn’t adding a fuel stabilizer and that diesel now degrades fast. ( WAT ??? )
This last one had a 0216 code & I think with all the pumps the rotors have never ceased and always shot fuel out with a manual spin of the shaft

Yeah, it’s possible.
I had one guy tell me it went bad because I wasn’t adding a fuel stabilizer and that diesel now degrades fast. ( WAT ??? )
This last one had a 0216 code & I think with all the pumps the rotors have never ceased and always shot fuel out with a manual spin of the shaft

Most of the time people sell pumps without replacing the PMG. I am sure your PMG is bad and not the pump mechanically. Usually pumps that go bad mechanically is due to pump wear (usually timing piston, housing), not really anything else. With your fuel setup I doubt you would ever have a problem.

The real issue is that any pump that has a new PMG goes for $ 1500 plus. The PMG alone has to be $ 600 or more at this time. Many of these $ 900 specials are just regurgitated parts to put a pump together.

Also the truck a having a pump for 8 years and not really used is not great either. Mechanical pumps will suffer the same not matter what over time.

Last edited:
The real issue is that any pump that has a new PMG goes for $ 1500 plus. The PMG alone has to be $ 600 or more at this time. Many of these $ 900 specials are just regurgitated parts to put a pump together.

Also the truck a having a pump for 8 years and not really used is not great either. Mechanical pumps will suffer the same not matter what over time.

Was gonna say, just put a good VP44 on it, and make sure fuel supply is right.
We have had excellent results with Bosch and Bosch reman only. Cost more money up front, but doing it twice is the Devil.

Guess I was thinking that was how it was worked, but thought it was driven more? Either way, it shouldn't be eating pumps. While the VP does have a reputation, they're plenty of them running without issue, with a lot of miles on them. My personal truck for example, had the pump replaced right before I bought it at 93k miles in 2007, a AD150 was one of the first things I did, and its currently at 202k miles.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking there's another issue that's causing the pumps to fail.

I had a pile of VP's on mine- the ones that $hit the bed quickly were all "experimentalish"

Cost effective.... well that depends on how many more vp’s will be put on the truck in the future

No , this last pump probably had under 8k miles but it was 8 years old.

Running a AirDog 100, 2 micron filter ,17 psi tank drawstrawed, and all 1/2 inch tank to pump . Good clean fuel with lubricity addictive.
I even left this last one untapped and kept the quad off of it.
My deal is of all the Certified vp builders that have a 855 test bench who’s pump stands above the rest? Half these people that offer vps for sale dont rebuild them themselves.
I’m satisfied with the SO Pumps power that these past pumps have made just think a mechanical one would probably be less problematic and have more longevity, but I do like the vps dynamic timing

What setup do you have for the rest of fuel and air, and how often to you beat on the truck?

I had a pile of VP's on mine- the ones that $hit the bed quickly were all "experimentalish “

Mine weren’t experimental but I don’t want to end up with a pile of them either

What setup do you have for the rest of fuel and air, and how often to you beat on the truck?

62/68/14 S300, quadzilla , & some Mach 7s

It varies, once every 2 or 3 months to half a dozen times a month

Would driving it say at least once a week make a difference? Mine isn't a daily currently, but I try to drive it at least once a week or so.

2 stroke oil or any lubrication additive will help keep the timing piston alive, from the VPs I've torn apart that seems to be a common problem. I don't think the PSG is as big of an issue as everyone thinks it is, the timing piston sticking sure makes the PSG do weird stuff though.

Back