new rebuild break in

cumminspwr11

just putting my motor back together, it got all new pistons, rings, main bearing, rod bearing, etc whats a good break in process for the new motor?

I saw a write up on this a while ago but can't find it but the guy basically said the first start up go drive it and within the first 20 miles do a WOT run to help seal the rings, he had pictures of pistons that he did that with and ones that he just idled for a break in and the difference in pistons was crazy.

If mine starts with oil pressure I typically just go beat the piss outta them. Worked so far.

In previous years with gassers we have always idled the engine up a bit to about 2500rpm and let it sit for about an hour with no load just to break the bearing in. Then fined a long straight stretch of road some place and give it all its got to seat the rings. We've been doing the diesels this way aswell, but with 30 min. run time at 1500rpm, let it cool off, retorque the head bolts or studs, then a WOT run thru a long straight stretch. We let lynn's 2wd puller run a few times out side for a while and the hood stack had a bad oil residue inside it. Made its first pass down the track wide open and it hasn't had an oil residue since.

Start it, get it to temp. Retorque and beat the hell out of it. I work at a truck shop doing most of the engine work. Whenever we do an inframe in one it get's started, checked for leaks, test drove, then hooked to 80,000 lbs and have the guts pulled out of it.

I run and engine up to temp at about 1000 rpm and then drive it like you don't own it ! and then just drive it like you would any other time.

This is personally how I will be doing it...

Bring the engine up to operating temperature on the engine stand with heated water.
Do a stud retorque and check all bolts etc.
Install engine and idle up to 1500-2000rpm's for a cam break in, changing the oil afterwards.
Do another retorque
Drive it like normal doing an oil change at 500 miles and then 3000 miles most likely.

so no special take it easy times huh? just left her warm up @ 1500 or so for around 30-60mins and then do a wide open run and change the oil after 500miles

-make sure you're running a good zinc additive in your engine oil
-using white lithium grease in the oil pump will help build oil pressure on initial start up

let it idle above 1000 rpm, and every 15 seconds or so rev it up to 1500 or so. Let it cool, check for leaks, check for water in oil, etc., then go out and drive it like you normally would.

-jp

apples to oranges, but my 2 stroke bike engine rebuilds get one heat cycle, then a cool down, then wot

engines that are put through a babied break in process, run like a baby

We finished up my motor on a thursday, torqued the heads and loaded it up on a friday and went racing that saturday. oops
CompD Mobile Device

sounds good im getting a 24v oil pump, they are a higher volume pump and my pump was trashed, i got another 2 or 3 weeks till shes running, i got to finish the body work and paint then put the rest of the motor back together this week

Back