New Suncoast 1055 Converter in Casper.

McRat

Starting out to test a new version of torque converter in Casper. Since we went up in turbo size again, we needed something more suited to big chargers. This is a Suncoast 1055 converter and it's the 7th? different converter in Casper IIRC. OEM, TTS, 1056, 1057, ML, ML2, and now a 1055.

Initial street testing is good. I drove the old converter down to Mike's and it was bogging the truck down alot with the bigger charger. But when I picked it up, I could feel the difference immediately. It's not a really loose converter, but it is certainly looser than the 1057 or 56.

When coupled with a program that pushes up the shift points, it runs much like a gasoline engine truck does until the boost goes past 10.

I will be doing some more street testing and will be running it next week at the Famoso dragstrip.

Nice, I have the 1057 in my truck now and for my tuning it works great.

We run the 1057 in both Blue and Wendy. It was the model that Joe Webb, Mike L, and I worked together on before Joe passed away.

It is the best converter so far for most daily driver racers. It's great on the street, but also shaves some ET off at the track.

But with the bigger chargers, it's too tight, especially at altitude. But to it's credit, the 1057 worked well with the GT4202 up to about 5,000' DA if you got the tuning spot on.

Hopefully next month Ill finally get to contemplate about what TC I should get

McRat, do you have a built trans, if you don't mind my asking.
Also, would you recommend Suncoast trans and torque converter products to the average guy doing a build up?

I'd be interested in finding stuff for an Allison that'll hold better than stock.

Later
Chris

sleepur606 said:
McRat, do you have a built trans, if you don't mind my asking.
Also, would you recommend Suncoast trans and torque converter products to the average guy doing a build up?

I'd be interested in finding stuff for an Allison that'll hold better than stock.

Later
Chris

Mike L. of Inglewood Trans builds my Allisons with mostly Suncoast parts.

We have had pretty good luck with them in all our trucks. Never lost a race because the trans.

How much stuff you need depends on the year of truck, your usage, and your power level. You'd need to call Mike to get the skinny on what would best suit you.

Is that the same shop that was featured in Diesel Power a few months ago doing an Allison build up? Sounds real familiar.

If/when it comes to it, I'd be much more inclined to go with Sun Coast over ATS. After seeing the ATS flywheel, I would rather not run their stuff, but that's just me...and they may have improved since the product I saw, but you know what they say about first impressions.

Thanks for the heads-up McRat

See you in Bakersfield right?

Later
Chris

Pat, have you tried or are planning to try the 1058 in any of your trucks yet? I'm not too familiar with what the numbers represent but I've seen other guys report good things about it. Is the 1055 more of a race converter or would it be ok on the street? thanks

We will be at Bakersfield, but do not know which trucks we will run yet.

I've run both ATS and Suncoast stuff in Casper. There is Suncoast in it now.

That is no accident.

Schwinn68 said:
Pat, have you tried or are planning to try the 1058 in any of your trucks yet? I'm not too familiar with what the numbers represent but I've seen other guys report good things about it. Is the 1055 more of a race converter or would it be ok on the street? thanks

I will know more about the 1055 in a week when the testing is done. It is intended for GT42 and up trucks. A tighter converter will work better with smaller chargers.

I will be testing the 1058 in our Blue truck in the near future once we get good testing mechanisms in place.

I can't wait to hear your results are. I'm glad you still take the time to post up your results, good or bad. There are still some people out here who appreciate it. I'm hoping to someday upgrade my trans as well so threads like this are very helpful.

When are you going to test the new line of ATS converters? They offer 5 different stalls in their 5 star converters. Any good tester would test all brands and not just their brand of choice.

I drove a SC1059 twin truck this past weekend. The converter is not much different than my 1057. I'll let you guys know after some more testing and the power gets turned up. I liked the converter so far. I definitely need more seat time with it.

ATS' standard five star converters are very similar to the 1057. The don't fluid couple quite as fast as a 1057, but are very very close. For a single charger truck, the std 5 star is an excellent choice. I have not got to test any of the ATS converters for big chargers...but will have my hands on a big power truck with one in it in a week or so. Also, Mike L worked with PI to have a high stall converter made for a friends truck. That converter made a huge difference on that truck. He was spooling a GT45-47 as a single and you could drive the truck down the road without a problem....except the lack of traction!

Last edited:
He might have a bad taste in his mouth when it comes to ATS like alot of other people.

Bobo said:
When are you going to test the new line of ATS converters? They offer 5 different stalls in their 5 star converters. Any good tester would test all brands and not just their brand of choice.

I drove a SC1059 twin truck this past weekend. The converter is not much different than my 1057. I'll let you guys know after some more testing and the power gets turned up. I liked the converter so far. I definitely need more seat time with it.

ATS' standard five star converters are very similar to the 1057. The don't fluid couple quite as fast as a 1057, but are very very close. For a single charger truck, the std 5 star is an excellent choice. I have not got to test any of the ATS converters for big chargers...but will have my hands on a big power truck with one in it in a week or so. Also, Mike L worked with PI to have a high stall converter made for a friends truck. That converter made a huge difference on that truck. He was spooling a GT45-47 as a single and you could drive the truck down the road without a problem....except the lack of traction!

I did test an ATS converter. It failed in less than 200mi of easy driving. Send me another one and I'll test again. I'll pay for the install and towing.

Since you are recommending it, how long did you have the ATS in your single charger truck, and how fast did you go with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a 12.87 with an ATS 3 lock a few years back in my stock LLY. That same converter is in a buddies daily driver and has not missed a beat. I have 4 other trucks at my disposal with ATS 5 star converters in them....full built motors with twin cp3's on two...one silverbullet charger on a stock motor LLY with single cp3 and one in a stock LBZ....what more do you want to know? The LBZ dynoed 505 hp last weekend on a dyno you said had low readings. The rest of the trucks have much more power than that!

If you are serious about testing a 5 star, call ATS and buy one for your application. They will send you what you order and you can do your testing. You claim that you pay for everything you test and post honest feedback, so call ATS and test one. If it blows up, let us know. I've had ATS and SC parts let go in my trans, but you don't see me give up on one or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to see information about torque converter testing in this thread. Take the personal crap off the board or to private messages.

Thank you

--Scott

Back