New to diesel wondering great build ideas!

Darth Bane

Hey ya'll,

First day on the thread and definitely not my last! My sergeant referred me to this site because I just recently became involved with diesel, for the best as well! Well I'll give some details on what I'd like;

I've decided that the truck I would like is a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L HO. And before i do anything fancy with the outside (lift, lights, suspension, stacks etc.) I need an engine to back up the look! If I'm gonna build her, its gonna be right and with my hands! (well try to at least) Anyway back on topic, I would like the 5.9, 800HP or greater, EFIlive (heard about "Zues" but dont know if their worth it) I've also heard about switches built into the cab that allow a "daily driver" HP and then when its time to haul a$$ flip the switch and it alters the tuning and outputs 1200 HP or something or other. Anyone heard of this? Sounds fun

Anyway, I'm sorry for being so new and unknowledgeable, I'm trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully get into this industry after my term of service. I've heard that 40K in upgrades (including lift, suspension, etc.) is kinda of the range for the "good stuff", I'd rather not put anything second rate that wont last into the truck. Any help and advice is very welcome! :bow:

Atleast you used proper grammar for the most part. Try the search feature.

First off my opinion is mostly that 800hp and lift is not only counter productive but shouldn't even exist in the same sentence.

Secondly, whatever your budget is for "xxx" amount of HP add atleast 15k. That will cover all the nickel in dime stuff that gets you, the stuff that breaks, and the stuff you end up buying twice because the first turbo or fuel pump wasn't good enough.

Lastly, thanks for your service. Spend a great deal of time reading, there is a lot to learn.

Hey ya'll,

First day on the thread and definitely not my last! My sergeant referred me to this site because I just recently became involved with diesel, for the best as well! Well I'll give some details on what I'd like;

I've decided that the truck I would like is a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L HO. And before i do anything fancy with the outside (lift, lights, suspension, stacks etc.) I need an engine to back up the look! If I'm gonna build her, its gonna be right and with my hands! (well try to at least) Anyway back on topic, I would like the 5.9, 800HP or greater, EFIlive (heard about "Zues" but dont know if their worth it) I've also heard about switches built into the cab that allow a "daily driver" HP and then when its time to haul a$$ flip the switch and it alters the tuning and outputs 1200 HP or something or other. Anyone heard of this? Sounds fun

Anyway, I'm sorry for being so new and unknowledgeable, I'm trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully get into this industry after my term of service. I've heard that 40K in upgrades (including lift, suspension, etc.) is kinda of the range for the "good stuff", I'd rather not put anything second rate that wont last into the truck. Any help and advice is very welcome! :bow:

So much I want to say.... but just search.

There are so many different ways at going about what you wanna do with your truck... However you need to just read, read, and read some more. Knowledge is power, especially when building something that you are looking to do. The search function on the website can be your best friend. Just be specific in what your looking for.

First start saving unless your rich your dreams will take years to fulfill!! You gotta love the dreams and energy of the young! Good luck on your build start small!! mistakes are expensive! Like said above read for a few months ask questions smartly! Start and end with sir and you may survive! Kid you gotta have thick skin to be on this site as a fair warning NEVER MOUTH OFF or think you already know it all! Otherwise welcome to the world of ridiculous power! Keep the rubber side down!

I don't mean to discourage you, but there's alot that goes into building up a high horsepower truck with a performance suspension. It's expensive, requires a pretty good understanding of how things work together, etc. Yes, it's fun to do it all yourself the way you want. However, it is a horrible investment. Like, flush thousands of dollars down the toilet just because you want to do it yourself. You could have that truck at half the investment if you bought something used and already modified, that you could put a few finishing touches on to make it "yours". I'm not trying to discourage you, but just stating what I wish someone would've told me. In fact, I'll sell you my '06 modified to ~ 800 hp with a fresh built transmission and a truly race-ready suspension for $40,000 less than I have in receipts if you're interested. And that's giving you hundreds of hours of free labor that I've put into it.

Take care,

Eric

Start and end with sir and you may survive! Kid you gotta have thick skin to be on this site as a fair warning NEVER MOUTH OFF or think you already know it all!
NOT referring to the above person, but he brings up a good point . . .

Be well aware that there are a large number of folks on this site who've a VERY high opinion of themselves. There's twice as many more who think they look cool to the first by carrying on like the first. It can be a test of your patience.

That alone could be viewed as the reason the Search feature is pushed as hard as it is here. Sometimes though, coming up with the right question is the toughest.

Try to sort who's wearing the coat from those riding the tails. ;)

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Welcome!

Don't let the HP numbers be the end all. A good 600hp is about all a street tire can hold on the street. That is much easier to attain than 800hp.

Also, a leveling kit will help you fit 37's under the truck just fine.

FWIW my 800ish HP motor is getting toned down to 5-600ish.

Epically post by a dumb phone.

Just remember that everybody has an opinion. And that opinion comes from experience

Last edited:
Hey ya'll,

At that power level, the top notch parts don't last long.

I'll have to argue

most come from thin air, or the smelly, greasy string method.

I would like to contend that MY limited experience comes from being an ameture trying to play with the big boys and keep it managable on the street with a limited budget. FWIW

Epically post by a dumb phone.

Welcome to CompD. After some reading you'll have more specific questions and we would be happy to point you in the right direction. Just note that most questions for the average build and above have already been asked. It is not that difficult to obtain what you are looking for. Before giving a power goal first feel what a true 5-600hp feels like. It may be more than enough.

After some searching you'll find the need to upgrade things like turbos, injectors, injection pumps, rods, valvetrain, transmission, etc. Good luck.

Back