New to diesels please help Cummins 12V

strokersmoker12

I recently purchased a 1994 dodge 2500 with a 12V cummins with 70,000 miles on it for $5000 i was planning to spend a little more money on a truck i just need some advice on what upgrades to get i have a straight pipe and blocked off my wastegate and its still slow as hell:bang. There is a local guy with a newer duramax who blew my doors off :eek:wned:what do i need to do to smoke this guy im not too concerned about gas mileage and id like to get into sled pulling i just dont really know what to do. ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated :thankyou2:

My first advice would be to not post for help in the sale forums.

I'll move this....somewhere........

Get gauges on it FIRST!!!!!! You need to know the EGT's, so you don't melt it.
Tab the KDP; Ram Diesel KDP retainer
Then you can start turning up the fuel, install a 4kGSK, advance the timing, bigger injectors, new trans or clutch, O-rings, head studs, etc.....

im installing gauges next week how high can my EGTs get safely and what type of injectors would you recommend to make this thing haul ass thanks a lot man

Honestly it will be hard to beat a dmax with a 12v if it has mods. first step How much money you got? 2nd bring it to me lol I'll get it running for you.

ive got $12800 right now to spend on it and saving every week im located in nm where is your shop???

The first thing i would do is get a new tranny.Because you add any power to a stock tranny is going to burn up fast..Then fix the KDP..it will save you a bunch of money down the road..:rockwoot:

is it auto or manual?

its gonna take well over two grand in parts (not including labor)(not including tranny) to get her hauling a$$

heres my 400hp setup

Big Honkin Air Filter + Prefilter = $70
borg warner s300 turbo = $1000
hx-40 type downpipe = $125
5" exhaust = $270
5x.012 injectors (100hp) = $375
4000 rpm govenor spring kit = $125
60 lb valve springs = $110
AFC mods = free
no plate = free
2095 rack plug = $15
advance timing to 16.5* = free if you have the kit or get someone to do it

lots of tuning and you NEED a tranny to hold it, thats expensive too
thats the prices i payed for what i got, im sure im missing stuff and some people can get cheaper stuff, but this is just to get the idea out there

If you've got almost $13k you can do a lot.

First thing is seriously deciding what you want to do with the truck, how you will use it, and where you want it to be down the road so you don't have to spend money twice.

Step one would be tranny, and deciding if you will be pulling, and what class (prob 2.6 if it's your first truck...)

its a manual transmission and im hoping to keep it streetable if at all possible thanks everyone for the advice

KDP- Killer dowel pin

a pin in your timing case to align the case to the block, eventually will fall out and either crack your timing case or destroy your whole motor.

Get the Killer Dowl pin fixed it is a easy fix, Just changing the timing, moving the fuel plate and AFC make a big difference. I just bought a 97 12V and my base line was 18.3 in the quarter. So far we have moved the timing to 17 deg, adjusted the fuel plate fwd and AFC FWD blocked off the wastgate and I did my own mod to the fuel plate and last weekend I ran a 15.75 in the quarter with out spending any money yet. Now I have trouble getting traction at launch I can't build any boost without spinning at the line.

im located in ruidoso nm, so is the timing adjustment pretty hard to do and i was also wondering about these bosch 370 marine injectors ive heard many mixed reviews about them what do you guys think??? They almost seem a little good to be true.I read they have the wrong spray angle but what negatine effects can using the wrong spray have on my engine.Thank you guys alot all help is greatly appreciated

im located in ruidoso nm, so is the timing adjustment pretty hard to do and i was also wondering about these bosch 370 marine injectors ive heard many mixed reviews about them what do you guys think??? They almost seem a little good to be true.I read they have the wrong spray angle but what negatine effects can using the wrong spray have on my engine.Thank you guys alot all help is greatly appreciated

I run a set of the 370 marine bosch injectors i love them..i know a few other people that run them and they have had no problems...

the on neg ive heard the most about the 370's is smoke.. not that you cant usem. many people also recomend, smokem's or some ddp's. there are a few more but i cant thinka them off the top of my head. most people will save the money for more expensive injectors because you get what you pay for. look for extrude honed stick

Back