New to power strokes have a question.

bd blk 12v

Fixen broken bulldogs
Hello guys. I'm new to powerstrokes. I purchased a 95 ext cab long bed 2wd. I paid $1000 for it. I'm a cummins guy but in the area I'm in they are hard to find. I went about 300 miles round trip to look at this f250. The guy said it has a bad injector. It fired right up. It does have a slight miss. I bought it. I figure I can fix it up it has 250k on it. It drives fairly straight for a quarter million mile truck. The auto shifts great and firm. It has ok power as much as you would expect from 215hp. What is the best way to troubleshoot the injector? Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Laser thermometer shooting exhaust manifold can usually make it very obvious

Without a good scan tool, a multi meter, a 3000psi pressure gauge and a compression test kit, youll be shooting in the dark on which cylinder is dead and why. It may be bad injector o-rings, a cracked injector cup, bad wire harness, faulty IDM, high pressure oil system or low compression.

unplug each injector wiring harness outside of the valve cover one at a time and start the engine and which ever one has the least amount of change narrows down to two injectors then remove that valve cover inspecting the wiring harness and connectors along the way. after removing the valve cover plug all the wiring back in and start the engine after it runs a bit watch the oil return spray out of the injectors usually a bad one will not squirt out oil. you can also remove the torx screws from the top of the injectors and check clearance a 0.0015 feeler gauge should fit under the armatures if tighter than that the injector is worn out

Ok thanks for the responses. I will check and see what I can find. What is a. Good scanner to buy? Can I buy a program and use a laptop?

Last edited:
You need the ability to do injector cut out, IPR control, etc, not cheap.

i have an old mac task master that i believe is able to do on demand tests, maybe you can buy and old mac, snap on, otc scan tool for your needs

I found the banjo bolt leaking in the valley. I found it loose. I checked both washerswere there. I tightened them up and started it. No leak anymore still runs rough. I pulled and looked at the valve cover pass through connectors. I found the driver side front connector first wire at the front pin on the harness burnt gone. It now has a code. I need to get a scanner. It was built 5 of 95. Thanks guys.

Of the two connectors on the valve cover which is the injector and which is the glow plug? Thanks sir.

yes or atleast check em with an ohm meter no more than 2 ohms resistance

My brother checked the codes with his friends cheap scanner. It came back with a p0171 system lean bank. Does that code seem right? Thanks for the help.

Back