New Truck. 35" Tires, What Gears To Get???

dodgediesel

Canadian Diesel Guy
Hi there. I'm looking at a 2012 Laramie Crew Cab. I will be running 35" tires with a 3" Carli lift and was wondering if I should go with a 3.73 or a 4.10 gear ratio. I tow my 32' trailer only a few times a year so I don't tow much. What are some thoughts and opinions out there? Thanks....:rockwoot:

I ordered 3.73's in my truck not thinking I would ever put 35's on. That was stupid of me. Now I'm hoping I'll be ok running 35's and 3.73's. Only good thing about it is I don't tow heavy.

3.73, I run 3.42s with 35s in mine but its a stick. These engines make enough torque that you don't need super deep gears to get the loads moving.

I've got 34.5's and have 3:73's on a 2012 and it seems to be okay. I towed another pickup just the same as mine on a 20' car hauler 170 miles a bit ago going 75 MPH and it wouldn't go into overdrive - I did have a decent side wind though.

Biggest problem is these 68RE's just aren't all that good, nice to drive but they don't like power...some guys are sayin just to keep your RPM's as close to 2000 as you can and it'll last longer, at low RPM's where the cummins still has torque the tranny gets no line pressure which destroys it...

Last edited:
I've got 3.42 with 35s and its not bed when I pull my camper I run it in 5th and at 70 its 2k rpm.

I've got 35's on and and 55 mph with 3.73 s my tranny makes unhappy noises I'm running a 60hp tune and 60hp injectors. It loves to shift into overdrive and I'm at like 1500 rpms. At 55. When I'm towing heavy its really frusterating and I long for lower gears. However I love it when I'm empty. Plus one on keeping the rpms close to 2grand. Everything is much happier.

Back