new truck and 47rh ?

aksparkey01

bombing addict.
Well i picked up a 95 auto truck pretty cheap because the owner couldnt get it running and said that the trans had some issues. fuel heater was sucking air, so a new fuel line from tank to lp got the truck running good but the transmission is acting up. this is the first auto truck that i own so i need alittle help. i read up on the tps and adjusted it to 1.1v at idle. took it on the road last night and it shifts pretty hard and late in the rpm in every gear. i tried getting into the go pettal from a stop and it just started slipping. truck has 230k on it , dont know if its the origional trans. is it possible that new pump, vb or band adjustment could help this or does it sound like a rebuild. btw it will hold full power when locked up in od just not in the lower gears.
thanks for the help

Are you sure it is slipping in the lower gears, and that its not just the horrible stock torque converter's fluid coupling?

My stock transmission was late to shift too when it was stock. Even after i had put a transgo shift kit in it. Then, when I put my GSK in the truck, it shifted much better, and had a lot more useable power. You are using less pedal for more RPM, so it makes the trans shift a lot more like it should.

Eric

not sure yet. i got into it from a dead stop and it started to move at first but then the motor rpm's went to 2800 and the trans wasnt doing anything

I would bet you just arent used to how horrible a stock torque converter is in these trucks.

When they shift, the RPM's never really come down until you get to O/D and the TC locks. When it does that, it should actually put some power down.

Can you tell when it shifts? What if you drive it easy? Does it seem to shift ok and drive fine.

If the transmission doesent have a LOT of miles on it, then a TC and VB will make a huge difference.

The governor spring kit will fix the shifting late too.

Here is a video of my buddies stock auto with the plate slid forward. You can hear how it revs up and stays there when he has it on the matt. Is this how yours does?

YouTube - Barry's Truck Smokin'

Eric

My truck feels like it slips the lower gears also. I just thought that is the crappy converting. When it locks it pulls just fine. Mine does however unlock and lock back up agian like at 60 mph when pulling 14k. It only does this when I go over an expansion joint or bump in the road. It may just be me unknowingly moving my foot when I hit the bumps.

i can tell and feel when it shifts. if im easy it does fine just shifts at 2700rpm and feels hard. but when i step on it, it takes off then feels like its free reving. I think that iam going to try to adjust the bands and change the filter for starters

welll i tried to adjust the front band last night and the square adjusting stud would screw all the way to the case finger thight. does that indicate a bad band or is it possible that i was messing with the wrong square head with a 3/4 lock nut?

Sounds to me like you might have a band strut that has fallen out if you can screw the adjuster all the way in. It would result in a loss of 2nd gear if that were the case...

Adjusting the front (intermediate or kickdown) band isn't going to help much considering that it is only used during 2nd gear.

I had the Anchor break in my transmission. When that happens, you cant adjust it because it will never have tension on it like you said.

Also, if the band isnt applying because something is broken, it will rev high in 1st gear, and then shift to 3rd gear.

Its not uncommon for the anchor, strut, or apply lever to break if you have a modified valve body without a billet anchor, strut, and apply lever.

You should notice it if it is skipping 2nd gear though.

Eric

it might be i will take it for a drive tonight. also my options are rebuild this one, new one, or i can get ahold of a supposedly good 47re for arround $450 with converter. would it be worth it to get the re and try and find a computer.

I dont think I would want to mess with putting an RE in the truck. The RH has a stronger stock output shaft anyways.

I dont really think you need a full rebuild, you just may have some parts that are broken and easily replaced.

Eric

Don't waste your time on an RE. You will have way more money into swapping it than it is worth. Driveline lengths are different so you would need to have them modified in addition to getting the trans in and working correctly.

Rebuild what you have or find another RH.

my 95 single cab does the same exact thing. the clutches in the lower gears are worn, causing it to slip. The Overdrive unit has its own cluth packege and thats why its doesnt slip as much in OD. Time for a Rebuild!

my 95 single cab does the same exact thing. the clutches in the lower gears are worn, causing it to slip. The Overdrive unit has its own cluth packege and thats why its doesnt slip as much in OD. Time for a Rebuild!

You do realize that the front and rear clutches are applied in OD as well, right?

what kind of special tools are needed to rebuild a 47rh. I talked to a tranny shop today and he quoted me $1k just for opening it up and puiting it back together if i brought the transmission to him.

He's a ripoff if that's labor only. There's quality shops that will do it for half that or less for labor. I remember seeing a guy on ebay that charges $300 for labor on a 47rh to do a rebuild. Why not at LEAST drop the pan and take a look? Is the fluid burnt? It looks like you will possibly need a rebuild. If you're keeping it relatively stock, you could install a used unit for a good low price. However, if that's the route you may take, I think you should definately try taking apart the old unit before buying another. Might be a simple fix.

Back