new truck

95psd

Hey im looking for a new truck, I've got my eye on a 01 3500 dually 6sp. Im wondering about the weak blocks that came in certain trucks. What do I need to look for I know that thier is a certain block code or number that would tell me which it is but where do I find it ?. Are their any other things that I should watch out for in this era truck?
thanks for your time.

Weak fuel system, and depending on what you are doing with the truck the vp44 injection pump may limit you.

thanks for the info, guess I should be looking for either a 12v or an 02 or newer

I think there are a couple here on the site. What's the trucks main job?

Where are you going to go with the truck? Under 500HP DD/tow vehicle?? Buy it and be done with it, if the block is a 53 code, and it's intact right now, don't worry to much about it, there are too many of them running around with no problems to speak off.

The fuel supply system will need upgrading, anything much over stock and you can plan for a clutch of some kind (The stock unit sucks, period). That truck, being an HO, has the "good" VP, it's kinda limited on top HP numbers, but is much more durable than the SO version. My truck has 182,xxx on the stock IP and I know, for a fact, that it has been driven at least 500 miles with 0 fuel pressure due to a failed lift pump.

Billy is right. My truck has also been driven with 0 fuel pressure for some time and no problems. I have read up on the 53 blocks and if you treat it right it will be fine. They say to warm the engine slow and use block heaters in the winter and it will be fine. I say buy the truck upgrade the fuel system and enjoy. I know i have.

The truck will be doing pretty much everything from my dd (wich is only to days a week, the rest of the time it'll be sitting at home or at the yard pulged in) I will be towing with it. I do want to make some power with it, that's why I sold my old truck. I don't realy plan on making like 500 hp( not for a long time anyway).

I have a ninety nine... with 196,xxx and im still runnin a stock IP and thats had seen some pretty sad FP numbers. still runs as good as when i got it. I also and the doomed 53 block. i just took the eng out and it looks fine no cracks so far. So u know what im going to do about it .....?? Put more money in it. Whats the worst that can happen. :rockwoot: It will just be ten grand in parts being sold lol.... I think a vp will be a good truck for DD and towing mine never failed me

well I went a head and bought it(no 53 block I crwaled under it and checked)
IMG_0823.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0826.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0864.jpg
[/IMG]
with a edge drag comp box(everything else stock) made 290/597, exh and intake are comming hopfully tomorrow. I think im going to go with a BD 4"turbo back (no muffler) and BD air intake. If any of you guys have better ideas for exht and/or intake let me know help is always helpfull.

did someone beat you on the dyno with only a predator and homeade straight pipe???

315hp and 725tq

Do any of you guys know if it would make a difference if my truck is dyno'd 4th or 5ft gear. I was told that it should have been done in 5ft, im guessing 5ft would let the turbo get full boost vs 4th ? or it would help out for wheel speed vs rpm ? The dyno was a dyno dynamics. I asked teh guy who was the one who owns the dyno said it would not make any difference. as my buddy just posted above me his 02 f-350 with a preditor and muffler, cat cut out made 314/724 on the same dyno. Both trucks are 6sp man trans 4x4. I could understand him making a bit more pwr than me but that's a pretty big difference unless I was just way off on what settings I hade mybox on.

Back