newb auto questions

fearthedeere6.7

This will be my first year pulling an auto. Trucks a 95/3.54 with built trans. 5x16s and a maxed out 215 with full cuts, head as a bit of work done, schied street cam. and hx55/52 hybrid charger.

When do i lock up?
My charger is a bit big on the hot side so im gonna get under it at the end of the track, i was planing on down shifting, so I unlock for that or no?

I was planning on runnins a set of 285 bfg ats but i also have a set of 305 half tread mts which would you run?

thanks

Id run bfg and I've never pulled with 3.54s but I'd guess you will stay in 2nd. I always shift to 2nd then lock it up all most right away. When you get to the end unlock then downshift.

Last edited:
Id run bfg and I've never pulled with 3.54s but I'd guess you will stay in 2nd. I always shift to 2nd then lock it up all most right away. When you get to the end unlock then downshift.

I don't see why you need to downshift if your unlocking.

Might not even have to down shift, when your revs start to fall unlock it.

A friend of mine had almost an identical truck and it wouldn't stay on top of the turbo locked in first at the end of the track with 3.55s and 33s. Id try dropping in first at the end of the track locked first if it won't do it unlock it then downshift.

My valvebody doesn't allow locked first. I dont have the power to spin out in 2nd. My truck is a dog under the charger. If work stays busy ill have enough to buy a 2.5 charger and I wont have to worry bout it. I might try and hit 3rd the first pull but I doubt ill have enough to keep it.

I doubt you will hit 3rd I have 4.10s and get into 3rd for a few seconds with a common rail and faster spooling turbo. Give it a try that's how you will find out.

i ran 355s with an auto and 33s always ran in 4 lo and drive with od locked out. i had a hard time looking it up and keeping it going. now that i switched to 410's i can lock as soon as it shifts to 2nd and carry it down the track with no issues, i do have to unlock at the end and let it downshift.

i ran 355s with an auto and 33s always ran in 4 lo and drive with od locked out. i had a hard time looking it up and keeping it going. now that i switched to 410's i can lock as soon as it shifts to 2nd and carry it down the track with no issues, i do have to unlock at the end and let it downshift.

carry 2nd down the track? or third?

With 3:54's, you'll want to lock as soon as it hits 2nd, and if you are getting under the turbo at the end, just unlock and leave it in 2nd. You wont want to try 3rd IMO. It may pull it for a second but as soon as the sled gets up on you, you'll have to downshift and I think it'll hurt your run more than it will help it.

put it in 4lo and second gear, give it hell. unlock the tc at the end of the track. dont try 3rd. stay in 2nd and keep the rpms up. that will help ya stay on top of the charger.

I tried 3rd and it to high a gear unless you have some high hp. 2nd works great for me with 3.73 and I don't unlock until i'm at my burn out.

Back