NHRA Super Street Survey

paulb

NHRA is gathering information from people that race in the SST class. The Sportsman Racers Advisory Council for the Super Categories (SRAC) and NHRA have discussed changing the rules. Two of the topics under consideration is: 1). Using a full tree, instead of a .500 pro tree. 2). Have a "dial your own" index of 10.00 to 10.90.

For me, having a full tree, a dial your own index would make it easier to compete. On the other hand, beating someone at their own game is also very appealing. I am competitive on the .500 pro tree with other racers, but it is a challenge for me to tune right to a 10.90.

I would really like to see input for other NHRA Super Street racers. Dockboy comes to mind as well as others.

Paul

P.S. This is NHRA Super Street not NHRDA Super Street.

Paul,
Are they running an official online poll? Is it only open to people with a S/ST number? Damn, I let my S/ST and S/C numbers expire when they increased the rates! I saw on DRR where someone posted a "duplicate" poll.

I don't know why they are messing with lowering indexes, unless they are just trying to help profitability of sponsors by forcing racers to spend more money on parts ;)

Apparently they have had some pretty good turnout at the Unleashed races with their "no electronics" index classes, but I doubt they would ever push the LODRS classes to that, since they get so much sponsorship money from the companies that enable the huge mph index cars. I hope to squeeze in some California races this year to run their no-electronics index classes (A/Gas, B/Gas, etc). Unfortunately my car falls right between those classes (very low 9's), but at least I could be sure to make the index regardless of conditions!

Back in the early years of S/G, we were actually a crowd favorite at the big races. I have pictures of me in late rounds at national events with packed grandstands. The cars all launched with big wheelstands, and they ran side-by-side down the whole track. With the true-win light, most spectators probably didn't even know about breakouts. All they know is they got to see loud, wheelstanding cars racing heads-up! Nowadays the .90 classes are when everyone heads for the bathroom and snack bar. The few people watching are either family members or people wondering why all the cars shut down right after they launch. I just don't see any point in building a 7 second car to run a 10.90 index...

I guess I would like to see them either leave the existing LODRS classes as they are, or eliminate the timed throttle stops.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Paul,
Are they running an official online poll? Is it only open to people with a S/ST number?

Yeah it's an official poll. Mike Rice sent an email out. He didn't say it was just to S/ST, but I'm guessing it was.

In S/ST having the dial your own index, would/could help reduce the throttle stops. The full tree would/could reduce that advantage of cars that react quickly over ones that don't. My 05 though will react quick enough that I can red light on a .500 pro tree, so personally I'm okay there.

Not sure why the proposed indexes in SC and SG. Maybe because they are tired of people on the throttle stop until the 1/8 mile.

Paul

Thanks, I just emailed Ricer to ask him to send me the poll. That bum has my email address, we correspond periodically (we are old friends from 25 years ago), but somehow I didn't get on this poll!

Thanks, I just emailed Ricer to ask him to send me the poll. That bum has my email address, we correspond periodically (we are old friends from 25 years ago), but somehow I didn't get on this poll!

He may already know how you will answer it... :lolly: I like Mike, and he has been a great supporter of diesel drag racing.

Paul

Paul,

Like you, I personal don't mind the .500 Pro Tree and in fact would prefer it. The classes I run at diesel only events are Pro Tree also so it keeps things consistant. In fact, the last part of this past year I started putting PT on the truck at T&T's because the Sportsman trees were messing with my staging consistancy.

I would run some NHRA events in SuperStreet if they did the "dial your own" 10.00-10.90 and it weeded out some of the throttle stops. Like Michael, I never liked the 7 sec cars running 10.90.

I really like my local track's Street Car Shootout rules and typically run in Super Street where the dial-ins are usually 11.0's to 9.0's. If things work out with some ideas I have for the truck this winter, I may run 10.0 next year instead.

http://cecilcountydragway.com/pdfs/2010outlawstreetcarshootout.pdf

By the way...Thanks for thinking of me :)

Greg,
Those are some interesting rules. Do they get a good turnout for those events?

There is a similar association that runs around here (Heads-Up Northwest). Here are their rules: The Starting Line

One thing I like is the lack of restrictions on the index class. It's a dang index class, who cares about vehicle restrictions!

I didn't get an official survey since my email apparently wasn't on their list, but Mike has entered my feedback. He has been following the thread discussing these changes on DRR.

Greg,
Those are some interesting rules. Do they get a good turnout for those events?

Michael,

They run it about every other weekend and have a min. of 8 in every class and usually atleast 16 in ProStreet and SuperStreet.

One thing I like is the lack of restrictions on the index class. It's a dang index class, who cares about vehicle restrictions!

EXACTLY!!!!!

That is the precise reason I have been lobbying for the 11.90, 10.40, 8.90 Index classes in our sport!!

Greg, I do like index classes, but I'm afraid we don't have the truck count (in this crappy economy) to be adding classes right now. I know you proposed changing the existing no-breakout classes to indexes, but I like being able to run flat out!

On the DRR thread discussing the poll, Mike Rice added another choice - "Ban Pliska from all NHRA races". He's pissed because I posted a photo of him from 1988 ;)

Greg, I do like index classes, but I'm afraid we don't have the truck count (in this crappy economy) to be adding classes right now. I know you proposed changing the existing no-breakout classes to indexes, but I like being able to run flat out!

On the DRR thread discussing the poll, Mike Rice added another choice - "Ban Pliska from all NHRA races". He's pissed because I posted a photo of him from 1988 ;)

But that is EXACTLY what the NHRDA did was ADD another class (11.90). My proposal did not increase the number of existing classes and was structured that ANYONE who showed up could race regardless of vehicle configuration. And you could still run flat out, just run in a class with a low enough index or the Top Diesel class. Regardless, that is not a discussion for this thread. ;)

What is the DRR and could you post a link?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back