Nitrous on the rollers

motocxer117

so i recently hooked a bottle up, got the kid used it came with a zex .032 nizzle, barely made any difference. recently got my hands on a .093 jet and holy fudge it really rips, i only hit the button once. saturday theres a dyno event going on and its gonna be the only time ill use this big nozzle. curious as to whhen you guys are hittin the button say at 5# or 10# 1500 rpm or 2000rpm. im pretty confident that the trans will hold the power. i wanna hear what you guys would or wouldnt do

A diesel consumes about 4 times the air of a gas motor at the same engine speed so your going to need a much larger jet than the gas guys run. A 0.093 is not so big on a diesel, but to get the best dyno you want to hit it as soon as you can get onto boost. So you might play with it a few times to find the best spot but I would say 5 lbs would be a good place to start. If it doesn't backfire go to a lower boost point and try again.

i hit the button today at like 1400 rpms maybe 5# and i think it may have backfired or i had air in the lines from when i changed the jet out. et out a big cloud of white smoke i almost cried. i hit it again at 1900rpm and the truck started gettin sideways. so this jets not so big then? should i have it held down the entire time? or just to get on top of the charger

You should be spraying it from 5lbs till your dyno run is over. Do you have a waste gate?

from phone

Wouldn't hurt to have a back pressure gauge if your not wastegated.

from phone

That big of a jet I would wait until 10-15psi.

Edit: And, hold it down. A .093 isn't a spool jet, it's a horsepower jet ;)

Also, let off the button before you let off the throttle or else you can backfire it.

Last edited:
That big of a jet I would wait until 10-15psi.

Edit: And, hold it down. A .093 isn't a spool jet, it's a horsepower jet ;)

Also, let off the button before you let off the throttle or else you can backfire it.

thank you, i figured it would be on the large side for a spool jet, i was runnin a .032 jet and it really only help light the turbo, wasnt anything special at WOT. this is probably a dumb ass question, but shoud i throw a soft spring in the afc to get more fuel? i got a stiff spring in there now and its pretty clean moderate haze at WOT. i know nitrous likes smoke

Probably wouldn't hurt. Every truck is different. What size lines and solenoids are in your ZEX kit? If you have a -3 line to the nozzle, you won't be able to flow much more than a .078. You'll also need to start worrying about things like bottle pressure and multiple stages if you wanna play serious. If not, I'd just leave it like it is and have fun.

im not even sure what size lines they are. i searched the solenoid numbers and all i could come up with is its bigger than the nitrous express solenoid. im doing it for the sheer fun. the kit i bought was a zex smart box kit. i paid 150 for it at a swap meet. i just used the lines, bottle and i took the solenoid out of the box put a momentary switch and a solenoid on it. last fall i put down 512/1109 that was on a stock lift pump recently put an ADII 165 on it. what do you think ill put down on the jug?

Ha ha, I have no idea. Depends on how much fuel you have left. Just run it and see what happens. If it feels good on the street, it should do well on the dyno also.

Edit: top off your bottle before you dyno it. Bottle pressure has been worth 50-100hp for me. Should be at least 900, and no more than 1,200.

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MHGlOLbQA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MHGlOLbQA[/ame]
i think i should have plenty of fuel left over

I turned mine on at 20 psi with a hobbs switch on the street or rollers, worked best there, no guessing. When the tone changes from a truck to an angry motor your getting close.....other than that it's weak.

Jim

Why not just use the turbo to supply the air? Thats why diesels use them....

Back