nitrous or water

blackdieselram

i know this has been talked about before but couldnt really find what i was looking for. i just got some bigger injectors put in and now my truck runs hotter than i would like when i push it hard. im just running my smarty with tnt on level 3 and 5 so i can keep the rail psi around 20k+ but my egts will get up to 1700 degrees. i would like to drop it a couple hundred degrees, even just to 1500 would be fine. i have heard that nitrous can cool also so what would be the better choice? nitrous or water?
the only time i would really use it is at the track so the cost of the nitrous is not a big deal.

well nitrous is way more fun but i doubt it will cool your egt. Mine goes way up, smoke clears great and pryo is pegged intantly. Mine is a 12v so maybe yours will react differently. One word of caution, once you use nitrous your fast fuel only truck will feel slow when not on the bottle.

i think 64mm are always hot, id look into a E.D. better bullet. in the mean time look into Devil's Own kit. They are a sponsor on here now and the guys name is Chance... good guy. Get a full progressive controlled unit to get you were u need to be.

properly done nitrous will make more power, and cool the egt's. most just dont know how to build a nitrous motor and get frustrated with high egt's so they give up and go with more turbo and water....

one day im going to use my 64 in a set of twins but just wanted something quick and easy to help untill i get it.
i was planning on getting a nitrous kit down the road anyway so i may just get it and see what happens, then if it doesnt do what i want i havent really lost anything since i was gonna get it anyway.

what do i need to know to set it up right?

properly done nitrous will make more power, and cool the egt's. most just dont know how to build a nitrous motor and get frustrated with high egt's so they give up and go with more turbo and water....

I know that myself and many others including John robison with the funny car have had similar results with nitrous increasing egt.

Now i am definatly new to all this and would love to build my truck to run cooler. Do you have any rule of thumb things guys should do while running nitrous or tips, well any insight is always appreciated.

I know that myself and many others including John robison with the funny car have had similar results with nitrous increasing egt.

Now i am definatly new to all this and would love to build my truck to run cooler. Do you have any rule of thumb things guys should do while running nitrous or tips, well any insight is always appreciated.

Yes watch your back pressure on a nitrous motor
Dont go above 1.5:1 ratio
Bottle psi is key as well
Nozzel placement makes a big difference in temps too.

wrong one.. i had another one somewhere,i'll look for it. It is a dyno comparison to a similar setup like urs

well i found a good deal on a nitrous express 2 stage kit with the progressive controller so i went ahead and got it.
now i just need to figure out how to set it up and tune it to my truck :lolly:

It all has to do with air fuel ratio (which diesel guys almost never talk about)....if you're way overfueled, a small amount of nitrous will burn up some of the fuel, and you'll still be overfueled, but you'll be burning more, which will increase your egt. More nitrous will lean the motor out to where your EGT will start to drop.....to a point....guys making 1,000-1,500 hp will still need some help in the form of an intercooler or water.

Back