NM: 97 4x4 ECLB 287K PDD Compounds + More Bad Engine

bellabulldog

I've had enough fighting this truck. Felt like I got the truck running really well and this morning driving home there was a knocking noise that got worse as I got home. Had my next door neighbor who is diesel mechanic take a look at the vehicle. He believes that the engine either threw a crank bearing or wrist pin broke. Either way the engine is knocking badly. Will require a rebuild.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to do it myself and want to be through with this truck.

Frame has 287K miles.

Clean title, I'm 3rd or 4th owner, truck lived in Montana on ranch prior to coming to New Mexico. Truck is rust free and straight. No body damage, debadged. Has an Alpine stereo that works most of the time, with a 10" sub. Cruise control does not work and never has since I've owned this vehicle. Speedometer does not work and requires a GPS.

Speedometer does not work because when I bought truck it came with a NV5600 from a '06 3500. I traded a guy on cumminsforum for a built 47RE mostly because my wife hated the manual on that truck. Transmission is from a '02 and did not have a speed sensor pick up for the 97. This swap was done by Las Vegas Diesel, they could not get a Dakota digital to convert the signal from the rear ABS so speedometer stopped working at 284700ish. I have driven the truck with a Garmin vehicle GPS for approximately 2300 miles. Las Vegas Diesel also installed a underbed transmission cooler.

3.54/3.55 gears Dana 60 front, Dana 80 (open diff) rear. Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75R16 w/ 80% life (These are on it currently). Also has another set of rims on Cooper Discover tires LT265/75R16 30-40%? life. Will have a few pictures of these rims on truck too.

Truck has a trailer brake controller and hide-a-way hitch in bed.

Here's what's done to the truck,

AFC Live Stage 2 (older version that is larger box) and Turbo Tuner. AFC LIVE In-Cab Diesel Fuel Control w/Gauge | Power Driven Diesel
Turbo Tuner Boost Controller | Power Driven Diesel

Rick Fox (forum member here) built engine, Diesel Power Challenge 2015 Competitor Rick Fox's 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 5x.016 Weston Injectors, 181-210 cam, EEP Dual Valve Springs, 24v Tappets, Wide Bowl Pistons, .02 over HG, 425 studs and O-rings.

Power Driven Diesel Tow Compound Kit - K27 Secondary over SXE369 Primary. SXE369 has .91AR housing. Ultimate Towing Compound Turbo Kit - Power Driven Diesel
Approximatley 250 miles on K27 and 1500 miles on SXE369.

Schied Diesel Benched 215 Pump w/ 5k springs, flow set at 500cc. All work done by Schied Diesel, with mack rack plug and dual fuelers. Removed fuel plate for AFC Live. Likely removing fuel plate makes this fuel quite a bit more than 500cc. I could not even come close to cleaning single or compounds with AFC Live when set to max fueling and fuel plate removed per PDD instructions.

Airdog 200 lift pump w/ draw straw.

ATS 3PC Exhaust Manifold.

Transmission done by Long Island Transmission, high pressure valve body and Transgo shift kit. Allegedly has billet input and output shafts and designed to hold 750+WHP. Transmission was not slipping or behaving poorly when using SXE369 as a single or in compounds.

Single disc high stall (2500?) converter by https://www.facebook.com/pages/Torque-Converters-Transmissions-by-Gary-Gonzales/124621740924896 guaranteed to 800 WHP. Less than 1000 miles on this converter. Converter has lock up switch on dash and works well.

Traction bars made by SWALLDOG (Forum Member here). They are not welded on up front yet, just wired up. I do have all the hardware to mount them up and would come with truck. They are connected to U-Bolts on the rear axle.

One piece 5" aluminum drive shaft.

Sinister Diesel Coolant Bypass.

Torktek OFV 60 P7100 Performance Overflow Valve for Cummins OFV060HP

Autometer 0-60 Boost Gauge.
Autometer Transmission Temperature Gauge.
ISSPRO EV2 0-2000 Pyrometer
ISSPRO 0-60 PSI Fuel Pressure Gauge

Derale Transmission Pan https://www.amazon.com/Derale-14210-Transmission-Cooling-Dodge/dp/B004XONSYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1492670075&sr=1-1&keywords=transmission+pan+47re

Built Tough Radiator Built TOUGH Radiator

4" exhaust.

In an effort to be as candid as possible, here are the bad things for worst to least bad.

1. Engine Knock
2. Speedometer doesn't work
3. Cruise Control doesn't work
4. Small oil leak on pan (may be dripping from turbos, had to adapt a gasket but now have correct gaskets, however I have not installed them yet).
5. Cracked Dash
6. Ripped Driver's seat (has seat cover, but seats are from 24v truck.)
7. Radiator Plastic Fan Shroud is cracked
8. Driver's side seat adjustment handle is broken (allows seat to flip forward so you can get into back seat)
9. No wheel caps on current rims

Everything else is great.

There may be a thing or two that I haven't mentioned but I can't remember and I will add things as I recall and can add pictures. This truck is located in Albuquerque, NM. Call me with questions 5 zero 5 66 zero 731one. Would consider trades for a reliable 4 door truck (could add up to 15k cash on my end). I don't care to part this thing out. No haggling.

$4000.

-Andrew

Last edited:
Man you ought to open each injector line one at a time while the trucks idleing and see if that knock goes away. If an injector went bad it can sound like the worst rod knock but is a (fuel knock).

or drain the oil and cut the filter open to see whats there. no point ruining the turbos from bearing material floating around.

Hmm, I really want this, but you pretty much couldn't be further away... I've even got an extra, good 12V lying around.

Back