No head gsk?

AHall

Hobbyist
Got bored at work and did some thinking... The theory is instead of running a gasket to do a machining process oringing/firering each oil and coolant hole as well as the cylinder. Seems like it could hold better than a head gasket. Anyone tried it? Possible? Pointless?

I don't think it would work. But it could never try it. You would have to mill the top of the pistons off so they didn't hit the head. Sounds like to much work.

My old Bultaco 360 El Bandito didn't use a head gasket. Air cooled 2 stroke though.

I don't think it would work. But it could never try it. You would have to mill the top of the pistons off so they didn't hit the head. Sounds like to much work.

The theory would be to have a thick enough rings to allow proper clearance

don't know why it wouldn't work. Your compression would be really high without any other changes and your piston to head/valves would need addressed. The question would be why?

Got bored at work and did some thinking... The theory is instead of running a gasket to do a machining process oringing/firering each oil and coolant hole as well as the cylinder. Seems like it could hold better than a head gasket. Anyone tried it? Possible? Pointless?

Tractor guys do it all the time, but they don't care about coolant.

don't know why it wouldn't work. Your compression would be really high without any other changes and your piston to head/valves would need addressed. The question would be why?

As in machined fit. No clearance issues if your rings are large enough in diameter. Just trying to think outside the box on the dreaded cummins head gsk failures.

If you do it right IDK why you would have head gasket failures. I ran all last season with studs on a 3yr old .020 over HG and was running 85psi plus of boost no o-rings or fire rings. Your idea sounds like it would work, but that is a lot of machining and what would happen if the head warped later? That would suck.

As in machined fit. No clearance issues if your rings are large enough in diameter. Just trying to think outside the box on the dreaded cummins head gsk failures.

So you're gonna have a .060 gap between the head and block everywhere but where the rings are.... bore's, oil, water......

You'd be no better off than normal fire rings IMO. The Cummins head gasket is plenty capable for sealing the oil and coolant ports. Your idea would have the same issues with precision machining and prep. Machined for a head gasket and fire rings for the cylinders or machined for fire ringed everything; seems to me that the main problem area is perfect machining for which way you choose to seal; pick your poison

You'd be no better off than normal fire rings IMO. The Cummins head gasket is plenty capable for sealing the oil and coolant ports. Your idea would have the same issues with precision machining and prep. Machined for a head gasket and fire rings for the cylinders or machined for fire ringed everything; seems to me that the main problem area is perfect machining for which way you choose to seal; pick your poison

Good point. Weak point for us is still gonna be the cylinder sealing perfectly. Only real difference would be instead of milky oil or high pressured cooling system you'd have soot trails coming out of the gap.

Back